1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Fourier Transform and Power Signals

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    I am having trouble with this homework problem, I know how to get started but I just don't know how to carry through the completion of the problem:

Question: Given the fourier transform of an aperiodic signal

X(ω) = 2*sin(3(ω-2π))/ω-2π

(a)find its inverse fourier transform x(t) using only tables and properties
    (b) find the power of the signal x(t)

I know that I have to preform Frequency shift property involving the 2π and I have to preform the scaling property for the 3. I also know that I can use the relationship

sin(τω)/ω = τsinc(τω/2)

and the inverse fourier transform of
    τsinc(τω/2) → ∏(t/τ)

The problem I am having is understanding how to perform the frequency shift and the scaling property in order to get X(ω) into the form of sin(τω)/ω so i can preform the inverse fourier transform. from there the power is equal to x^2(t) which is equal to the

lim T→∞ of ∫ g^2(t)dt from -T/2 to T/2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2
    You should look at replacing w with something else so that X(w+?) generates the sin(ax)/x term.

The signal is not periodic so I think you misspoke -- it doesn't make sense to speak about power for aperiodic signals so I think you meant energy. Subtle, I know, but it's important to keep it straight :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook