1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1

Ado

Hi!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From the website http://www1.uprh.edu/rbaretti/MomentumspaceIntegration8feb2010.htm
    we can see the fourier transform of the ground state hydrogenic wave function :

Φ(p) = ∫ ∫ ∫ exp(-i p r) (Z3/π )1/2 exp(-Zr) sin(θ) dθ dφ r² dr (1.1)

After intregation of the variable φ we have :

Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ ∫ { exp(-i pr cos(θ ) sin(θ) dθ } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.2)

and next :

Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ { 2 sin(pr) /pr } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.3)

= 4π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ {sin(pr) /p} exp(-Zr) r dr

= 8 π1/2/ Z5/2 /( p² + Z² )²

And I want to understand these different steps..

2. Relevant equations

I don't understand the relations used between (1.1), (1.2) and (1.3) :
    (1.1) to (1.2) new cos(θ ) appears
    (1.2) to (1.3) sin(pr)/pr appears

3. The attempt at a solution

Can you explain me what happen between (1.1) and (1.3) ?

Tanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2
    In 1.1 we have exp(-ip.r). p.r is the dot product of two vectors, whose value is pr*cosθ, where θ is the angle between the vectors. I suppose in p space, which I'm not familiar with, this angle must be equal to the coordinate θ. There is a bracket missing in 1.2, which should read
    Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ ∫ { exp(-i pr cos(θ) ) sin(θ) dθ } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.2)
    This can be integrated over θ by using the substitution u = cosθ and the identity eix = cosx + i*sinx, to give 1.3

4. Jun 22, 2017 #3

Ado

Thanks for your reply mjc123 !

I had applied your recommendation and I find the result in (1.3) :wink:

If I used the substitution u = cosθ, I must then integrate between 1 and -1 (cos(0) = 1 and cos(pi) = -1).

I put du = -sinθdθ, so :

exp(-i pr cos(θ) ) sin(θ) dθ = -exp(-i pr u) du = - cos(-pru)du + isin(pru)du

The complex term disappears with the integration and

1-1 - cos(-pru) du = 2sin(pr)/pr

I have just a question about the bounds of integration. At the beginning, we integrate between 0 and pi and with the substitution, between 1 and -1. The order of these bounds is important because if we integrate du between -1 and 1 we would have a negative term. My question is probably stupid but why are we constrained at the beginning to integrate between 0 and pi and not between pi and 0 ??

Thanks in advance !

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4
    A mathematician could no doubt give you a better formal explanation, but I would say basically: because the increment is dθ. You could also integrate from pi to 0 with increment -dθ.
    If you think of it in terms of the area under a curve, for example, suppose you have a function y which is positive over the range x = 0 to 1, and you want the area under this curve, which of course is positive. This is ∫01ydx. We could also go from x = 1 to 0 in increments of -dx, and get ∫10y(-dx) = ∫10(-y)dx = ∫01ydx. Or think of the function y as the differential of the integral, i.e. the rate of change of the area with x. This is obviously positive (or negative if y is negative) with increasing x, i.e. positive dx. So we integrate y by dx over the interval 0 to 1, not 1 to 0. However, if we do a coordinate transformation, we must keep the initial and final limits in their transformed form, and transform dx correctly, so if we made the substitution u = e-x, we would integrate -y(u)/u*du from 1 to e-1.
    Hope this is not too rubbish.

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5

Ado

Thanks a lot for your explication mjc123 and thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted