Fourier Transform Tricky Integral

In summary, Michael attempted to apply the Fourier transform to a signal, but was unable to complete the integral. He attempted to do it by parts, but was still unable to complete the integral. He then attempted to apply the complex exponential, but was still unable to complete the integral. He was close to finishing, but did not finish. He may need to substitute and move things around to complete the integral.
michaelbarret
Hi I am trying to analytically calculate the Fourier transform attached.

I am getting really stuck with the integral, can anyone help?

I've attached how far I've got with it, any help much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Mike

Attachments

• maths question.png
    maths question.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
michaelbarret said:
Hi I am trying to analytically calculate the Fourier transform attached.

I am getting really stuck with the integral, can anyone help?

I've attached how far I've got with it, any help much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Mike

Hey michaelbarret and welcome to the forums.

Hint: Use the subsitution and try integration by parts twice and see what you get.

The only thing complicated about that integral is your way of doing it. Instead, do it by parts:
[tex]\int cos(\omega x)e^{ax}dx[/tex]
Let [itex]u= cos(\omega x[/itex], [itex]dv= e^{ax}dx[/itex] so that [itex]du= -\omega sin(\omega x)dx[/itex] and [itex]v= (1/a)e^{ax}[/itex] so we have
[tex]\int udv= uv- \int vdu= \frac{1}{a}e^{ax}cos(\omega x)+ \frac{\omega}{a}\int e^{ax}sin(\omega x)dx[/tex]

Now, do it again. Let [itex]u= sin(\omega x)[/itex] and [itex]dv= e^{ax}[/itex] so that [itex]du= \omega cos(\omega x)dx[/itex] and [itex]v= (1/a) e^{ax}[/itex].

Now you have
[tex]\int e^{ax}cos(\omega x) dx= \frac{1}{a}e^{ax}cos(\omega x)+\frac{\omega}{a^2}e^{ax}sin(\omega x)- \frac{\omega^2}{a^2}\int e^{ax}cos(\omega x)dx[/tex]

Add [itex]\int e^{ax}cos(\omega x) dx[/itex] to both sides and divide by 2.

Thanks HallsofIvy for your reply.

I think the biggest thing I'm unsure on is how my original signal can be generalised to ∫cos(wx) e^ax dx. In my case does w=w, x=t(1-qt) and dx=dt?

Also sorry If it's obvious but I don't really understand why I should add ∫e^ax cos(ωx)dx to both sides and divide by 2.

I can't figure out how to integrate the complex exponential associated with the FT either, ∫e^-jwt dt

Yeah last helper might not have noticed the squaring of t in the original problem, it also looks like you didn't write it after the first line. But it looks like you were close to done, I like what you have worked out on the PDF. I think the next goal might be to complete the square and use some substitutions and move things around so you almost have that thing that's equal to root pi over a.

Last edited:

1. What is the Fourier Transform Tricky Integral?

The Fourier Transform Tricky Integral is an extension of the Fourier Transform, which is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its frequency components. The tricky integral adds a complex factor to the traditional Fourier Transform, making it more challenging to solve but also providing more accurate results for certain types of functions.

2. What types of functions does the Fourier Transform Tricky Integral apply to?

The Fourier Transform Tricky Integral is best suited for functions that are not periodic, have discontinuities, or have an infinite number of terms. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze signals and systems with these characteristics.

3. How do you solve a Fourier Transform Tricky Integral?

Solving a Fourier Transform Tricky Integral involves evaluating the integral using complex analysis techniques. This typically involves breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and applying mathematical rules and identities to simplify the solution.

4. What are the benefits of using the Fourier Transform Tricky Integral?

The Fourier Transform Tricky Integral provides more accurate results for functions that are difficult to analyze using the traditional Fourier Transform. It also allows for a wider range of functions to be analyzed, making it a valuable tool in many scientific and engineering applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform Tricky Integral?

While the Fourier Transform Tricky Integral is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can be more challenging to solve compared to the traditional Fourier Transform, and it may not always provide better results. Additionally, it is not suitable for all types of functions, and other methods may be more appropriate in those cases.