1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transformation: power spectrum

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    Lots of works about the high-order harmonic generation in the intense laser-atom physics obtain the harmonic spectrum by Fourier transformation of the dipole moment d(t) (=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\varphi\varphi^{*}[/tex]z):
    p([tex]\omega[/tex])=|[tex]\frac{1}{tf-ti}[/tex][tex]\int d(t)exp(-i\omega)[/tex]dt|[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Here, I want to use the Monte-Carlo method to generate the Harmonics. The trajectory r(t) of an electron in 3D Hydrogen system can be get. Then how can I obtain the harmonic spectrum for one electron? Can I use the Fourier transformation of r(t) directly?
    p([tex]\omega[/tex])=|[tex]\frac{1}{tf-ti}[/tex][tex]\int r(t)*cos(\theta)exp(-i\omega)[/tex]dt|[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2
    I suggest looking up the Wiener Khinchin theorem.

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    Thank you! :)
    Happy New Year!

5. Jan 8, 2009 #4
    Yesterday, I look up the Wiener Khinchin theorem. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener–Khinchin_theorem)
    The paper shows what the Wiener Khinchin theorem is and how we can use this theory.
    Here I have another question:
    Usually, the electron moves around the proton in the real space. x(t) is in the 3 dimensional spatial coordinate.
    If we want to use the Wiener Khinchin theorem, first we need calculate the autocorrelation function.
    My question is if x(t) is in the 3 dimensional spatial coordinate, how can we calculate the autocorrelation function?
    Thank you!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook