Fourier Transfrom and expectation value of momemtum operator

In summary, using the definition of the momentum operator and the Fourier transform, it is shown that the expectation value of the momentum operator is equal to the integral over k of the squared norm of the transformed wavefunction multiplied by a constant. This result can be obtained by applying the ∂x operator and utilizing the identity for Dirac delta functions.
black_hole

Homework Statement

Using <[itex]\hat{p}[/itex]n> = ∫dxψ*(x)([itex]\hat{p}[/itex])nψ(x) and [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] = -ihbar∂x and the definition of the Fourier transform

show that <[itex]\hat{p}[/itex]> = ∫dk|[itex]\tilde{ψ}[/itex](k)|2hbar*k

2. The attempt at a solution

Let n = 1 and substitute the expression for the momentum operator. Transform the wavefunction and its conjugate. Take out all constants.

[itex]\hat{p}[/itex] = -ihbar/2pi∫dx∫dkeikx[itex]\tilde{ψ}[/itex]*(k)∂xdkeikx[itex]\tilde{ψ}[/itex]

Here I'm stuck. I tired applying the ∂x operator onto the eikx next to it. That cancels the negative sign, the i, and brings down a k. I thought I could change the the transform of the wavefunction and its conjugate into its norm squared and then I'd be left with ∫dxe2ikx but that integral does not give me 2pi.

have a made a mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
black_hole said:
Here I'm stuck. I tired applying the ∂x operator onto the eikx next to it. That cancels the negative sign, the i, and brings down a k. I thought I could change the the transform of the wavefunction and its conjugate into its norm squared and then I'd be left with ∫dxe2ikx but that integral does not give me 2pi.

have a made a mistake?

You need to be more careful. The two Fourier transformations you do don't have the same index: you integrate over two different k's.

Um, ok. You're probably right. But I'm not sure I see what to do ...

You will need an identity concerning Dirac delta functions: [tex] \delta(k+k') = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int e^{ix(k+k')} dx [/tex]

black_hole said:
Um, ok. You're probably right. But I'm not sure I see what to do ...
What clamtrox is saying is that you should start off with
$$\langle \hat{p} \rangle = -\frac{i\hbar}{2\pi}\int dx \left[\int dk\,\tilde{\psi}(k)e^{ikx}\right]^* \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left[\int dk'\,\tilde{\psi}(k')e^{ik'x}\right].$$ Do what you tried the first time, but this time you'll get something that looks like the identity clamtrox provided above, which will allow you to perform one of the integrals, leaving you with the result you want.

Ok Thanks guys! That makes more sense

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It takes a function in the time domain and converts it into a function in the frequency domain.

What is the purpose of a Fourier Transform?

The purpose of a Fourier Transform is to analyze the different frequencies present in a signal or function. It can be used to identify the dominant frequencies, remove noise, and reconstruct the original signal.

What is the expectation value of the momentum operator?

The expectation value of the momentum operator is the average or expected value of the momentum of a quantum particle. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the wavefunction and the momentum operator, and then integrating over all space.

How is the Fourier Transform related to the momentum operator?

The Fourier Transform and the momentum operator are mathematically related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The uncertainty in the position of a particle is inversely proportional to the uncertainty in its momentum. The Fourier Transform of a wavefunction gives information about the momentum states of a particle.

What is the physical significance of the expectation value of the momentum operator?

The expectation value of the momentum operator is a valuable quantity in quantum mechanics as it gives us information about the average momentum of a particle. It can be used to calculate the average velocity and kinetic energy of a particle, and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.