1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the solution of the givien initial value problem and draw its graph
    y''+2y'+2y = δ(t-π) y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0

2. Relevant equations

A Laplace transform chart would be very useful

3. The attempt at a solution

I chose to solve the equation with Laplace transforms. I took the laplace of the whole equation and then solved for the L(y):

L(y) = (e^(-πs)+s+2)/(s^2+2s+2)
    I double checked to make sure I didn't make any errors in my Laplace calculation and I did the algerbra correctly. So I have the right equation. However, my issue is now decomposing this equation - how do you do that?

You can't factor out the denominator? and I can't just set the numerator to As+B can I? The e^s term would make that useless...

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2
    and just to explain, π is pi and δ is delta for dirac delta function

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    I tried to use complete the square on the denominator to see if I could break it up more. I got s = -1 + i and s = -1 - i... so I don't know what to do with that at all. I'll keep trying though....

5. May 7, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you complete the square in the denominator, you'll get s2 + 2s + 1 + 1 = (s + 1)2 + 1.

6. May 7, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L(y)(s) = exp(-πs)/(s^2+2s+2) + (s+2)/(s^2+2s+2). Can you find the inverse LT of 1/(s^2+2s+2)? If so, getting the inverse LT of exp(-πs)/(s^2+2s+2) is easy, just using some standard results about Laplace transforms. You can look them up for yourself.

7. May 8, 2013 #6
    I got this. I also noticed my mistake in completing the square and solved that. I got (s+1)^2 +1 for the denominator now.

So I should get the inverse laplace as uπ(t)*t*e^(-t) + ???

I am getting (s+2)/((s+1)^2 + 1) which does not have an inverse laplace in the chart. The nearest thing is laplace of e^(at)*cos(bt) which is not exactly equivalent because the 'a' term doesn't match.

8. May 8, 2013 #7
    Also,

Laplace inverse of s/((s+1)^2+1) + 2 * 1/((s+1)^2+1) does not work out either.

The first term is close to the laplace of e^(at)*cos(bt); however, it is not exact again. The second term will be 2*e^(-t)*sin(t)

I can't see any way to tinker with the algerbra without adding on new terms and creating more inverse laplaces...

Would adding (1-1)/((s+1)^2+1) to y give you y = uπ(t)*t*e^(-t) + e^(-t)cos(t) + e^(-t)*sin(t)

I'm pretty sure adding 0 is legal. Does that check out with you guys?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted