1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which inverse Laplace form can I use?

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the second order diff eq: CAK3UGm.gif

Solving by Laplace transform gets me to: sUwM9Mn.gif

I could use the inverse laplace transform that takes me back to [itex]e^{at}cos(bt)[/itex] with b=0, but that only solves for the homogeneous (complementary) part of the equation, it won't reproduce the dirac delta function.

What should I manipulate the Y(s) into? Should I tackle it with partial fraction decomposition?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I didn't verify your work.
    ##Y(s) =\frac{}{} = \frac{\alpha s}{(s - 4)^2} + \frac{\kappa - 8\alpha + \beta}{(s - 4)^2}##
    Take the inverse Laplace transform of each of the two parts on the right. The numerator on the right is just a constant. A table of inverse Laplace transforms should have both of these.

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to have ##y(x) = 0## for ##x < 0##, then the DE + initial conditions are compatible only if ##\alpha = 0## and ##\kappa = \beta##. To see this, look at the left-hand-side near ##x=0##, and interpret the derivatives in terms of generalized functions (##\delta (x)##, etc.). If ##\alpha \neq 0## we have ##y'(x) = \alpha \delta (x) + \; \text{smooth terms}## and ##y''(x) = \alpha \delta'(x) + \beta \delta (x) + \: \text{smooth terms}##, so we would need
    $$\alpha \delta'(x) +\beta \delta(x) - 8 \alpha \delta (x) = \kappa \delta(x). $$
    This fails because ##\delta## and ##\delta'## are very different as generalize functions. On the other hand, if ##y(x)## is continuous at ##x = 0##, so that ##\alpha = 0##, we have ##\beta \delta (x) = \kappa \delta (x)##, and this works when ##\kappa = \beta##.

If ##\alpha, \beta## and ##\kappa## are three different parameters, we cannot have ##y(x) = 0## for ##x < 0##, and so we cannot solve the problem using Laplace transforms. We could try a Fourier transform instead, but by far the easiest way would be the direct approach where we apply different valuations of the homogeneous solution for ##x > 0## and for ##x < 0##, then match up the boundary conditions at ##x = 0##. By this I mean: use homogeneous solution ##y(x) = a_1\, y_1(x) + a_2 \, y_2(x)## for ##x < 0## and ##y(x) = b_1\, y_1(x) + b_2 \,y_2(x)## for ##x > 0## (with the same functions ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)## in both). Assuming ##y## continuous at ##x = 0## we get ##y(0-) = \alpha## and ##y(0+) = \alpha##. Next: integrate the DE from ##x = -\epsilon## to ##x = +\epsilon## and then look at the limit as ##\epsilon \to 0##. That gives ##y'(\epsilon)- y'(-\epsilon) + O(\epsilon) = \kappa##, so the condition is ##y'(0+) - y'(0-) = \kappa##. Thus, ##y'(0+) = \beta## and ##y'(0-) = \beta - \kappa##. Those four conditions allow determination of ##a_1,a_2, b_1,b_2##.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted