Which inverse Laplace form can I use?

In summary, the equation can be solved for the two complementary parts if the alpha and kappa are set to zero. Partial fraction decomposition may be used to find the solutions for the other two parts.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

I have the second order diff eq:
CAK3UGm.gif

Solving by Laplace transform gets me to:
sUwM9Mn.gif

I could use the inverse laplace transform that takes me back to [itex]e^{at}cos(bt)[/itex] with b=0, but that only solves for the homogeneous (complementary) part of the equation, it won't reproduce the dirac delta function.

What should I manipulate the Y(s) into? Should I tackle it with partial fraction decomposition?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

CAK3UGm.gif

sUwM9Mn.gif

I could use the inverse laplace transform that takes me back to [itex]e^{at}cos(bt)[/itex] with b=0, but that only solves for the homogeneous (complementary) part of the equation, it won't reproduce the dirac delta function.

What should I manipulate the Y(s) into? Should I tackle it with partial fraction decomposition?

Homework Equations

I didn't verify your work.
##Y(s) =\frac{}{} = \frac{\alpha s}{(s - 4)^2} + \frac{\kappa - 8\alpha + \beta}{(s - 4)^2}##
Take the inverse Laplace transform of each of the two parts on the right. The numerator on the right is just a constant. A table of inverse Laplace transforms should have both of these.

kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

CAK3UGm.gif

sUwM9Mn.gif

Homework Equations

If you want to have ##y(x) = 0## for ##x < 0##, then the DE + initial conditions are compatible only if ##\alpha = 0## and ##\kappa = \beta##. To see this, look at the left-hand-side near ##x=0##, and interpret the derivatives in terms of generalized functions (##\delta (x)##, etc.). If ##\alpha \neq 0## we have ##y'(x) = \alpha \delta (x) + \; \text{smooth terms}## and ##y''(x) = \alpha \delta'(x) + \beta \delta (x) + \: \text{smooth terms}##, so we would need
$$\alpha \delta'(x) +\beta \delta(x) - 8 \alpha \delta (x) = \kappa \delta(x). $$
This fails because ##\delta## and ##\delta'## are very different as generalize functions. On the other hand, if ##y(x)## is continuous at ##x = 0##, so that ##\alpha = 0##, we have ##\beta \delta (x) = \kappa \delta (x)##, and this works when ##\kappa = \beta##.

If ##\alpha, \beta## and ##\kappa## are three different parameters, we cannot have ##y(x) = 0## for ##x < 0##, and so we cannot solve the problem using Laplace transforms. We could try a Fourier transform instead, but by far the easiest way would be the direct approach where we apply different valuations of the homogeneous solution for ##x > 0## and for ##x < 0##, then match up the boundary conditions at ##x = 0##. By this I mean: use homogeneous solution ##y(x) = a_1\, y_1(x) + a_2 \, y_2(x)## for ##x < 0## and ##y(x) = b_1\, y_1(x) + b_2 \,y_2(x)## for ##x > 0## (with the same functions ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)## in both). Assuming ##y## continuous at ##x = 0## we get ##y(0-) = \alpha## and ##y(0+) = \alpha##. Next: integrate the DE from ##x = -\epsilon## to ##x = +\epsilon## and then look at the limit as ##\epsilon \to 0##. That gives ##y'(\epsilon)- y'(-\epsilon) + O(\epsilon) = \kappa##, so the condition is ##y'(0+) - y'(0-) = \kappa##. Thus, ##y'(0+) = \beta## and ##y'(0-) = \beta - \kappa##. Those four conditions allow determination of ##a_1,a_2, b_1,b_2##.

Last edited:
Likes kostoglotov

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to find the original function given its Laplace transform. This is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. Why are there different forms of inverse Laplace transforms?

There are different forms of inverse Laplace transforms because they are used to solve different types of functions. Some forms are more suitable for certain types of functions, and using the correct form can make the solution easier and more accurate.

3. How do I know which inverse Laplace form to use?

The choice of inverse Laplace form depends on the type of function you are trying to solve. If you have a rational function, you can use partial fraction decomposition to determine the appropriate form. If the function is not rational, you may need to consult a table of Laplace transforms to find the correct form.

4. Can I use any inverse Laplace form to solve a function?

No, not all inverse Laplace forms can be used to solve all functions. Some forms are only applicable to specific types of functions and may not give accurate results for others. It is important to choose the correct form for your function.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse Laplace transforms?

Yes, there are some limitations to using inverse Laplace transforms. For example, the function must be defined for all positive values, and the transform must exist for the function. In addition, some functions may require advanced techniques or approximations to be solved using inverse Laplace transforms.