Fraction of Hydrogen Atoms in First Excited State

So in summary, the approximate fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state of a star with a surface temperature of 8000 K is given by the Boltzmann factor e^{-\frac{10.2 eV}{1.38e-23\cdot 8000 K}} \approx 1.248e-6.
burg25

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
The temperature of the surface of a certain star is 8000 K. Most hydrogen atoms at the surface of the star are in the electronic ground state. What is the approximate fraction of the hydrogen atoms that are in the first excited state (and therefore could emit a photon)? The energy of the first excited state above the ground state is (-13.6/22 eV) - (-13.6 eV) = 10.2 eV = 1.632e-18 J.

Homework Equations

Kb = 1.38e-23 J/K
1/T = E/Kb

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to do this problem. My guess was to divide the energy in joules by the temperature and then divide by the Boltzmann constant to make it unitless.

(1.632e-18/8000)/(1.38e-23)=14.8

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... You are right so far, but you might want to use the Boltzmann factor for this problem as well.

What do you mean? Could you clarify?

Wait I think I understand. Are you saying take e raised to this value?

Yeah I got it. Thanks

Yes, using the Boltzmann factor you get:

[tex]\frac{P(E_1)}{P(E_0)} = e^{-\frac{E_1-E_0}{kT}}[/tex]

where [itex]P(E)[/itex] is the probability the electron is in the state with energy [itex]E[/itex].

Since a vast majority of the electrons are in the ground state, you can say [itex]P(E_0)\approx 1[/itex].

1. What is the "Fraction of Hydrogen Atoms in First Excited State"?

The "Fraction of Hydrogen Atoms in First Excited State" refers to the percentage of hydrogen atoms in an excited state compared to the total number of hydrogen atoms in a system. This value is an important factor in understanding the energy levels and behavior of hydrogen atoms.

2. How is the fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state calculated?

The fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state is calculated by dividing the number of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state by the total number of hydrogen atoms. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What is the significance of the fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state?

The fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state is significant because it provides insight into the energy distribution and stability of hydrogen atoms. A higher fraction indicates a higher level of excitation and potentially more energetic behavior.

4. How does the fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state affect chemical reactions?

The fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state can affect chemical reactions by influencing the availability of energy for reactions to occur. A higher fraction may lead to more energetic reactions, while a lower fraction may result in slower reactions. It can also impact the types of products formed in a reaction.

5. Can the fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state be changed?

Yes, the fraction of hydrogen atoms in the first excited state can be changed through various means, such as altering the energy levels of the system through external stimuli or adjusting the temperature. This can have significant effects on the overall behavior and properties of hydrogen atoms in a system.