Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional calculus - uses, examples?

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know any applications / uses for fractional derivatives and integrals?

I supposed the idea and asked a professor, he tried to explain fractional calculus to me, but I was in calculus 2 at the time... so it was way over my head back then. I asked him what it could be used for and he didn't really give me an answer, just that it was too complex to explain lol.

Now, 3 years later, I'm looking back on it and wondering what a fractional derivative can be interpreted as, and what it could be used for. Anyone have some insight?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Way too many to count. What interests you?

We have three specialized journals:
    1. Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis
    2. Fractional Differential Equations
    3. Communications in Fractional Calculus.
    Of which the second is applications based.

I highly recommend Podlubny's book Fractional Differential Equations, or West's book Physics of Fractal Operators as they both have a chapter on applications. Also http://people.tuke.sk/igor.podlubny/fc_resources.html" [Broken] is really good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I'll check those out.

I think asking how to use it is too broad of a question,
    is there like a specific physics problem where you need to use it?

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4
    Some references are provided page 5 in a paper written for general public "La dérivation fractionnaire" :
    http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents
    (Sorry, not translated yet).
    There are a lot of applications for fractionnal calculus. One of them is the genertalization of the basic physical notions of Inductance, Resistance, Capacitance. A very useful generalization for the calculus of impedance of some electrical networks, especialy in case of presence of CPE in it (Constant Phase Element) :

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook