Fractional calculus - uses, examples?

• Thread starter elegysix
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does anyone know any applications / uses for fractional derivatives and integrals?

I supposed the idea and asked a professor, he tried to explain fractional calculus to me, but I was in calculus 2 at the time... so it was way over my head back then. I asked him what it could be used for and he didn't really give me an answer, just that it was too complex to explain lol.

Now, 3 years later, I'm looking back on it and wondering what a fractional derivative can be interpreted as, and what it could be used for. Anyone have some insight?

Answers and Replies

pwsnafu
Science Advisor
Way too many to count. What interests you?

We have three specialized journals:
  1. Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis
  2. Fractional Differential Equations
  3. Communications in Fractional Calculus.
Of which the second is applications based.

I highly recommend Podlubny's book Fractional Differential Equations, or West's book Physics of Fractal Operators as they both have a chapter on applications. Also http://people.tuke.sk/igor.podlubny/fc_resources.html" [Broken] is really good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll check those out.

I think asking how to use it is too broad of a question,
is there like a specific physics problem where you need to use it?

Does anyone know any applications / uses for fractional derivatives and integrals?

I supposed the idea and asked a professor, he tried to explain fractional calculus to me, but I was in calculus 2 at the time... so it was way over my head back then. I asked him what it could be used for and he didn't really give me an answer, just that it was too complex to explain lol.

Now, 3 years later, I'm looking back on it and wondering what a fractional derivative can be interpreted as, and what it could be used for. Anyone have some insight?
Some references are provided page 5 in a paper written for general public "La dérivation fractionnaire" :
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents
(Sorry, not translated yet).
There are a lot of applications for fractionnal calculus. One of them is the genertalization of the basic physical notions of Inductance, Resistance, Capacitance. A very useful generalization for the calculus of impedance of some electrical networks, especialy in case of presence of CPE in it (Constant Phase Element) :

Attachments