Frame of reference of bicycle rider

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Alex_Neof
Messages
41
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A wheel of a bicycle weighs 1 kg, all of which is at the rim. The diameter of the wheel is 0.7 m. If the bicycle is ridden at the speed of 3.5 m s–1, then in the frame of
reference of the rider:

i) Calculate the angular speed ω of the wheel.

ii) Calculate the momentum of the rim, p.

iii) Calculate the angular momentum of the wheel.

iv) Calculate the kinetic energy of the wheel.

Homework Equations



## v = {\omega} r ##
## \rho = mv ##
## L=I\omega ##
## Kinetic\ Energy = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + \frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2##

Moment of Inertia of a hoop (for the wheel, ignoring the spokes):

## I=M R^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
i) ## \frac {v}{r} = 10\ rad\ s^{-1}##

ii) ## 0 \ {kg}\ m\ s^{-1}## (Since in the frame of reference of the rider, there is no linear translation?)

iii) ## L=(M R^2) \omega ##
##(1) (0.35)^2 (10) = 1.225 {kg}\ m^2 ##

iv) ##Kinetic\ Energy = \frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2## Ignoring the linear term again.

##Kinetic\ Energy = (0.5) (0.35) ^2 (10)^2 = 6.125 J ##

Is this correct?

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org