1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraunhofer diffraction for a small obstracle

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    1. Two towers built on hills are 50 km apart and the line joining those passes above a hill midway between them. what is the longest wavelength of radio waves which can be sent between the towers without serious diffraction effects caused by the central hill?

2. Is the width of the obstrucle in necessary?

3. I think the problem can be related to Fraunhofer diffraction for a small obstracle. The condition for this type of diffraction is R≥ a^2/λ. But this requires the maximum width of obstracle.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the transmitter used extremely short wavelengths - what would happen?
    Notice that the line joining the towers passes above the hill.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    But in case I want some approximate numerical value of the wavelength that can pass without any diffraction effect? What should I do?

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What you do, to start with, is answer the question in post #2. You should also follow suggestions.
    I'll only show you one step at a time because you are the one who has to take the steps, and everyone's path is different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted