1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freaking out about applications

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

It's that time of the year... Applying for grad school, taking GREs and all that buisness and honestly I am freaking out. Currently waiting right now to get my PGRE scores back but it's starting to bug me and I could use a bit of persuasion that scores aren't all that.

So here's the situation, tell me if it's hopeless or not,

3.7 Undergrad GPA
    6 Months of Computational Physics research experience, no papers.
    3 good recommendations
    540 V/750 Q General GRE
    ? PGRE

US-Domestic Male

I am applying to UW-Madison and several other medical physics programs. I really have my heart set on Madison but here's what's aching me. When I first came out of the PGRE I thought I did fantastic, answered some 90 questions on it. Shortly after that I start realizing that I got such and such question wrong, you know the game.

Gradschoolshopper.com lists really high PGRE scores for pretty much any and all grad schools. If it turns out that I only did so-so on the PGRE? Or maybe even badly... say 550-600. Are my hopes of UW-Madison just crazy?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    I'm not gonna be useful on medical physics programs since I don't know much about those.
    But I've been there last year (applying and worrying). :smile:

is the 6-month research at your home institution? Have you done any other research?
    Any of your recommenders well-known in their field?
    Those might affect your chances.

And apply to various range of programs. I don't know how budget issue is this year. But according to my grad program, they're gonna make a cut on number of admitted students next year.

good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook