Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel

1. Jul 9, 2017 #1
    Hi at all
    On my math methods book, i came across the following Fredholm integ eq with separable ker:

1) φ(x)-4∫sin^2xφ(t)dt = 2x-pi
    With integral ends(0,pi/2)
    I do not know how to proceed, for the solution...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #2
    Is this an assigned problem?

Could you verify that the equation you are working with can be written as follows: $$\phi(x)-4\sin^2(x)\left(\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\phi(t) dt\right)=2x-\pi.$$ I want to be sure I'm not missing any hidden dependence on the variables involved.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3
    Yes, If you can kindly help me understand how to proceed to solve it ! :bow:

5. Jul 10, 2017 #4
    It's clear that if we knew the value of ##\int\phi dt##, then this would just be an algebra problem. Think about what integrating both sides of the equation from ##0## to ##\pi/2## would allow you to do.

6. Jul 10, 2017 #5
    Sorry, the book It gives me the solution, but I do not know how to proceed...:olduhh:

7. Jul 10, 2017 #6
    Did you try integrating the equation as I suggested?

8. Jul 13, 2017 #7
    Sorry, i've been absent for a few days.. anyway yes, but how?

9. Jul 13, 2017 #8
    I'm going to write out explicitly what I think you should compute, but I think you should be the one to perform the computation.

$$
    \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left(\phi(x)-4\sin^2(x)\left(\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\phi(t) dt\right)\right)dx=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left(2x-\pi\right)dx
    $$

Remember that ##\int \phi(t) dt## is just a number; it does not depend on ##x##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted