Free Body Diagram for a Piece of Gum on the Underside of a Desk

In summary, the high school physics teacher has come up with a question about the normal force. The normal force is a manifestation of the Pauli Exclusion principle and is responsible for keeping the gum from falling through the table. However, the high school physics teacher is not sure if the normal force goes away when the gum is at rest.
flintstones
Homework Statement
Draw a free-body diagram for a piece of gum that is stuck to the underside of a desk.
Relevant Equations
None
So I’m a high school physics teacher and I came up with the question above. However I haven’t given it to my students because I’m not sure what the answer would be.

There is a force holding the gum up, and that force must balance the force of gravity. I’d probably call that an applied force, so the FBD would have an arrow going up labelled Fa and one going down labelled Fg.

However the reason I came up with this question in the first place is I was trying to show students how the normal force works. So I wanted to show them that normal force is drawn from the surface/desk towards the gum, 90 degrees to the desk. But normal force can’t be down, because something must be holding the gum UP. So is there zero normal force?

If you were to throw the gum at the table, THEN there’d definitely be a downward normal force as the gum was stopping. But if the gum is at rest does the normal force go away? Or is it that the applied force is balancing the normal and gravity forces together?

I think I won’t give this one to my students as it seems too hard, but it’s bothering me now. Thoughts on what the FBD should look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
The gum is held onto the underside of the desk by an adhesion force, which has nothing to do with a gravitational normal force with friction.

Likes flintstones
Just label it as "adhesive force" ; if anybody asks, mutter something about Van der Waals forces.

flintstones said:
If you were to throw the gum at the table, THEN there’d definitely be a downward normal force as the gum was stopping. But if the gum is at rest does the normal force go away? Or is it that the applied force is balancing the normal and gravity forces together?
The normal force is a manifestation of the Pauli Exclusion principle ; keeps the gum from falling through the table.

A good one is this : the forces are clearly labellable.

Last edited:
Likes flintstones
hmmm27 said:
Just label it as "adhesive force" ; if anybody asks, mutter something about Van der Waals forces.The normal force is a manifestation of the Pauli Exclusion principle ; keeps the gum from falling through the table.

A good one is this : the forces are clearly labellable.
Thank you - that video will work much better as an example.

Adhesive force makes sense, thanks!

berkeman said:
The gum is held onto the underside of the desk by an adhesion force, which has nothing to do with a gravitational normal force with friction.
I see. So the free-body diagram would have the adhesion force going up, and the force of gravity going down, and no other forces?

Likes berkeman
Those would be the only forces acting on the gum. There would of course also be a downward (reaction) force exerted by the gum on the bottom of the desk. But that would not figure in the force balance on the gum.

berkeman said:
Could get some help from air pressure?

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of an object.

2. Why is a free body diagram important for a piece of gum stuck under a desk?

A free body diagram can help us understand the forces acting on the gum, such as gravity and friction, which can affect its movement and potential for being dislodged from the desk.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram for a piece of gum under a desk?

To draw a free body diagram, you would first identify the object (the gum) and draw a dot to represent its center of mass. Then, draw arrows to represent all the forces acting on the gum, such as the force of gravity pulling it down and the force of the desk pushing it up.

4. Can a free body diagram help determine the likelihood of the gum being removed from under the desk?

Yes, by analyzing the forces acting on the gum in the free body diagram, we can determine the net force and acceleration of the gum. If the net force is greater than the force of friction, the gum may be more likely to be dislodged from the desk.

5. What other factors should be considered when drawing a free body diagram for a piece of gum under a desk?

Other factors that should be considered include the shape and size of the gum, the surface of the desk, and any other external forces that may be acting on the gum, such as air resistance. These factors can affect the magnitude and direction of the forces on the gum and should be included in the free body diagram for a more accurate analysis.