Free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley.

In summary, given that there are three forces acting on the block, Block two, and two forces acting on Block one, tension is the only force that needs to be included in the free body diagram.
ysk1
Given:
The plane is frictionless.

Almost all of the choices seems right.
It's just confusing. How can I know which one is correct?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 46055_a.jpg
    46055_a.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 662
  • 46055_b.jpg
    46055_b.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 814
Physics news on Phys.org
A free body diagram should only show the actual forces acting on the body. Is "ma" a force?

ma equals F, so I'd say ma is a force. Am I wrong?
What do you mean by saying "actual" forces?
Could you please tell me what actual forces are?
How can I know if a force is an actual force or not?

Thank you.

ysk1 said:

Thank you.
Well the way that i'd work on this problem is by identifyiing every force acting upon each block

Upon Block Block two, i'd say that there are 3 forces acting upon the block (3/4 of the possibilities agree with me, a,b and c)
These forces are :

Gravity - one would hope that we are on the earth... and that the Earth pulls down...
Force normal - else the block is so havy that it just goes crashing through the table
The pull of the other block via tension on the string- it pulls the other way.
I believe answer D is incorrect due to the fact that the string is already pulling on it w/ T, and that there is no other means for block one to affect block two,

So have to two forces pull in the same direction that block one pulls, can't happen as there is really only one object pulling rightwards/downwards/clockwise

Now, regarding the other block, block one, i'd say that there are just two forces acting on it, one upwards, and one downwards. (2 of the answers agree with me,a and b, the other two contradicting each other)

Gravity, and the string, again

Now i believe that tensionis a better term to use versus accelaration*mass, because, though M1a is a potentially valid label, it isn't conclusive, as you would still need to find the tension to solve for "a". On the other hand, tension can be found by determining the blocks' pull on the string, i.e. m1g, m2gx
(two of the responses agree with me,b and d, the other two contradicting each other)

the common answer throughout that i concur with is b.

Last edited:
But I still don't get one thing: what forces to include in free-body diagram in presence of forces displaying Newton's 3rd law.
A system constituting Newton's 1st or 2nd law is not difficult to draw free-body diagram, but how do you know what forces to include when forces constituting Newton's 3rd law also exist in the system?

Last edited:
ysk1 said:
By "actual" forces, I mean forces that have an identifiable agent--where something is actually pulling or pushing. The tension from the rope is exerted by the rope, gravity is exerted by the earth, the normal force is exerted by the surface. The only "long range" force in the mix is that of gravity; all the other forces are "contact" forces--something (like a rope or a surface) actually touches the object in order to produce a force on it.

"ma" is not a force. The net force on an object equals "ma", due to Newton's 2nd law. But don't show "ma" on a free body diagram!

1. What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object or system. It helps to analyze the motion of the object or system by showing all the forces and their directions.

2. How do you draw a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley?

To draw a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley, start by drawing the two boxes as rectangles with arrows representing their weight acting downwards. Then, draw the pulley as a circle with arrows showing the tension force acting upwards on both sides. Finally, label all the forces and their directions.

3. What is the purpose of a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley?

The purpose of a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley is to show all the forces acting on the system and how they are balanced. This can help in understanding the motion of the system and determining the net force and acceleration.

4. Can a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley have more than two forces?

Yes, a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley can have more than two forces. In addition to the weight and tension forces, there may also be friction forces or external forces acting on the system that should be included in the diagram.

5. How can a free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley be used to solve a problem?

A free-body diagram for two boxes connected on a pulley can be used to solve a problem by applying Newton's laws of motion. By analyzing the forces and their directions, the net force and acceleration of the system can be determined, which can then be used to calculate the motion or equilibrium of the system.