Free Body Diagram -- forces on a structure over a balcony wall

In summary, the conversation is about determining the forces involved at the contact points in a design of a structure over a balcony wall. The speaker has drawn up a cross section diagram with measurements and an applied force, but is unsure about the attachment points and is seeking help.
nate crosby
Hi, I am trying to work out the forces involved at the contact points in a design of a structure over a balcony wall.

I have drawn up the cross section of the situation equilibrium, with a tolerance. I want to find out what forces will be acting on the structure and the balcony wall when a force in applied to the end.

I have all of the measurements and input force on the diagram. (measurements in mm)!
I would be so grateful for some help here!

Thanks,
Nate

image1.JPG

I have all of the measurements and input force on the diagram. (measurements in mm)!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't follow your diagram so perhaps others can't either.

Where are the attachment points?
Where are the applied force(s)? There isn't anything labelled in Newtons on the drawing.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on a structure or object. It helps to identify and analyze the different forces present in a system.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the structure or object. These can include weight, tension, friction, etc. Then, draw a simple sketch of the structure or object and label all the forces with their respective magnitudes and directions.

What is the purpose of a free body diagram?

The purpose of a free body diagram is to analyze the different forces acting on a structure or object. It helps to determine the net force, which is crucial in understanding the motion and stability of the structure.

Can a free body diagram be used for any structure or object?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for any structure or object, as long as there are external forces acting on it. It is a universal tool for analyzing the forces in a system.

Why is it important to understand the forces on a structure over a balcony wall?

Understanding the forces on a structure over a balcony wall is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the structure. It helps to identify any potential weaknesses or areas of concern, and allows for appropriate measures to be taken to prevent accidents or damage.