Free body diagrams for boxes, inclined planes and springs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Like Tony Stark
Messages
182
Reaction score
6
Homework Statement
FIRST PICTURE
The body ##A## has a mass of ##6 kg##. It lies on the body ##B## which has a mass of ##14 kg##. There is no friction between these two bodies. Draw the free body diagram for both of them

SECOND PICTURE
A body ##A## of ##m=9.2 kg## slides down a body ##B## of ##m=17 kg##. ##B## doesn't move because of the force applied by the spring, which suffers a deformation of ##9 cm##. The friction between the two bodies is negligible. Draw the free body diagrams, determine the acceleration of ##A## with respect to ##B## and the elastic constant of the spring.
Relevant Equations
##W=m.g##
##W_x=m.sin(\alpha)##
##W_y=m.cos(\alpha)##
##F_e=-k \Delta x##
FIRST PICTURE
I have some doubts here because of the spring... I'll tell you what forces I've drawn. For ##A##, I drew the weight and the force applied by ##B## (the normal force) on the vertical axis; and the elastic force pointing to the right on the horizontal axis.
For ##B##, I drew the weight, the normal force and the force applied by ##A## on the vertical axis; on the horizontal axis I drew the force ##F## showed in the picture.
Is this correct? Because I don't know if the spring applies a force on ##B##, and in that case, I don't know what its direction would be.

SECOND PICTURE
For ##A##, if I take a coordinate system where the normal force is aligned with the vertical axis, I have the normal force and vertical component of the weight in the ##Y## axis and the horizontal component of the weight on the ##X## axis.
For ##B##, we have the normal force and the weight on the vertical axis; and the elastic force on the horizontal axis.

But I don't know what should I do with the data from ##B##, the spring doesn't affect ##A##, does it? Also, if there is no friction, shouldn't ##B## be moving to the left?
 
Attachments
  • 20190920_224924.jpg
    20190920_224924.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that your thinking for the first picture is correct. Obviously, gravity must be acting upon both of the objects, and likewise, since both ##A## and ##B## are resting on surfaces, they must be experiencing some normal force. Now, we know from the figure that ##F## is applied to ##B##, which causes a spring force on ##A##. Now, from Newton's Third Law, we know that if the spring pushes on ##A## then ##A## must push back on the spring, and since the spring is attached to ##B##, the spring must exert a force onto it.

For the second problem, since ##B## exerts a normal force on ##A##, then ##A## must exert an equal and opposite force on ##B##, so the deformation of the spring due to the force of ##B## is related to the force that ##A## exerts on ##B##. So if you include this new force in your equations, you should be able to use the data provided to calculate the desired values with those new equations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt and mfb