Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free books about Nuclear Physics

1. May 10, 2008 #1
    Free books about "Nuclear Physics"

Dear All
    Is there any website offers free books about "Nuclear Physics". "nuclear bombs", "nuclear plans and reactors"????

Best regards

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    DOE books

Dear All
    i got:

" DOE FUNDAMENTALS HANDBOOK
    NUCLEAR PHYSICS
    AND REACTOR THEORY
    Volume 1 and 2"

is it good resource?

B/R

4. May 19, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

As I said in your last message, "I don't think you will find many people who are willing to explain to you how to build your very own working nuclear device."

5. May 19, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

" DOE FUNDAMENTALS HANDBOOK NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND REACTOR THEORY
    Volume 1 and 2" is a very basic handbook that covers some basic or fundamental background for nuclear reactor theory. It is not very detailed.

There are no 'free' books that have suitable details for designing a reactor, and certainly not one for nuclear weapons.

6. May 19, 2008 #5
    I remember back when I was in fifth grade me and my friends checked out a book on nuclear power for a report and we freaked out when we found a diagram showing how a nuclear bomb worked. We thought we would be able to build one from it haha.

I'm sure if you write to the DOE or IAEA they'll be sure to supply you some detailed schematics and tips.

7. May 27, 2008 #6
    check this site and search the Nuclear phrase in E-Books section:
    avaxhome.org

8. Feb 8, 2009 #7

Morbius

Science Advisor

Re: Free books about "Nuclear Physics"

Manzuoni,

Yes - you can get a "cartoon" diagram of a nuclear weapon - but NOT design details.

It's like someone gives you a drawing or picture of a car - sleek body, 4 wheels on rubber tires.

Now - do you have enough information to go out and design and construct your own car?

Of course NOT - the real secrets to how nuclear weapons work are still secret.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
    Physicist

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8

I want to learn the nuclear power for pease(electricity,medical ......)
    Thanx

10. Feb 16, 2009 #9

I agree with some of the other say. If at all you need to know the details of a nuclear reactor or a weapon, it is going to be very difficult to find one. However you can see the basics of a functioning nuclear reactor on wikipedia

11. Feb 18, 2009 #10

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Mar 28, 2009 #11

http://www.oism.org/nwss/

Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson H. Kearny

Not only is it free, but I believe it to be the most comprehensive reference book available.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?