Are These Statements About Nuclear Physics True or False?

In summary, nuclear fusion is not currently a practical way to generate power, and radioactive waste is dangerous and environmentally hazardous.
NicoTheGreat
i have 1-100 true n false and I am complate stuck on these following please help me fast i have a exam tomarrow please!

following are True or False.. please someone I am new to this site

37. gravitational forces are greater then electrical forces?

38. nuclear forces must be stronger than electrical repulsive forces between nucleons in order to hold a nucleus togather?

39. most nuclei are stable?

40. in a stable nuclei the gravitational force betweem nucleons is sufficiently strong to overcome electrostatic repulsion?

41. a radioactive atom of uranium divides into two particles which are about equally unstable?

42. the two main fragments produced by nuclear fission have approximately the same mass?

43. nuclear fission reaction is the opposite of the nuclear fusion reaction?

44. on Earth nuclear fission is necessary in order to trigger a nuclear fusion reaction?

45. nuclei having large masses ( larger than 50 amu) contain many positive charges, and there fore cannot easily undergo fusion?

46. radioactive cobalt is often used to kill cancer cells.?

47. iodine 130 can be used to determine the size, location, and activity of the thyroid gland.?

48. beta particles can supply power to remote locations.?

49. radiation is used to cause genetic mutations in plant and animals.?

50. nuclear fusion is used in the production of electrical power.?

51. an ounce of uranium matter converted to energy in a nuclear reactor could produce as much electricity as could 200,000 pounds of coal.

52. one of the biggest problems with nuclear enegery is the residual radioactivity of spent nuclear fuel.

Physics news on Phys.org
36. True
43. true
46. true 47.true
48.true
49.true
51. true

still need help

NicoTheGreat said:
i have 1-100 true n false and I am complate stuck on these following please help me fast i have a exam tomarrow please!

following are True or False.. please someone I am new to this site

37. gravitational forces are greater then electrical forces?

38. nuclear forces must be stronger than electrical repulsive forces between nucleons in order to hold a nucleus togather?

39. most nuclei are stable?

40. in a stable nuclei the gravitational force betweem nucleons is sufficiently strong to overcome electrostatic repulsion?

41. a radioactive atom of uranium divides into two particles which are about equally unstable?

42. the two main fragments produced by nuclear fission have approximately the same mass?

43. nuclear fission reaction is the opposite of the nuclear fusion reaction?

44. on Earth nuclear fission is necessary in order to trigger a nuclear fusion reaction?

45. nuclei having large masses ( larger than 50 amu) contain many positive charges, and there fore cannot easily undergo fusion?

46. radioactive cobalt is often used to kill cancer cells.?

47. iodine 130 can be used to determine the size, location, and activity of the thyroid gland.?

48. beta particles can supply power to remote locations.?

49. radiation is used to cause genetic mutations in plant and animals.?

50. nuclear fusion is used in the production of electrical power.?

51. an ounce of uranium matter converted to energy in a nuclear reactor could produce as much electricity as could 200,000 pounds of coal.

52. one of the biggest problems with nuclear enegery is the residual radioactivity of spent nuclear fuel.
37. Completely False, electromagnetic forces are much more powerful than gravity. An example is that a small horseshoe magnet can suspend say a nail or paperclip, and overcomes the gravitational pull of the entire Earth.

38. False, electromagnetic forces only apply on the atomic scale, nuclear forces hold together the quarks that make up the protons and neutrons in the nucleus. In this example, the two are unrelated.

39. True, however all particles have a half life, most are just extremely long. Don't quote me on this though, I'm not exactly sure about that answer when you start dealing with isotopes.

40. False, gravity is far too weak to overcome electrostatic repulsion, the strong nuclear force keeps the nucleons together.

45. I think it may depend if it is an Ion, but most likely not, so this is true.

46. True.

49. It isn't "used" to cause mutagens in organic tissue, but that is a by-product of radiation exposure.

50. True, however nuclear fusion isn't too advanced at this point in time to provide a practical amount of power.

51. You'd have to calculate it, but if it was fully converted (which I don't think is possible) or I guess even partly converted to energy, then this is certainly true.

52. True, radioactive waste is dangerous and environmentally hazardous.I hope I helped a little, correct me if I'm wrong with any of these.

Related to Are These Statements About Nuclear Physics True or False?

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process that involves the rearrangement of atomic nuclei, leading to the formation of new elements or isotopes. This can occur through nuclear decay, fusion, or fission.

2. What is the difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, while nuclear fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into two or more smaller nuclei. Fusion releases more energy than fission, but it is more difficult to achieve and sustain.

3. How do nuclear reactions produce energy?

Nuclear reactions produce energy through the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc². In a nuclear reaction, the mass of the reactants is slightly greater than the mass of the products, and this difference in mass is converted into energy.

4. What is the role of neutrons in nuclear reactions?

Neutrons are essential for nuclear reactions, as they act as the glue that holds together the positively charged protons in the nucleus. In fusion reactions, neutrons are released as a form of energy, while in fission reactions, neutrons are used to sustain the reaction.

5. How do nuclear reactions impact our daily lives?

Nuclear reactions have various applications in our daily lives, including the production of nuclear energy, medical treatments such as radiation therapy, and the production of isotopes for industrial and scientific purposes. However, they also pose potential risks, such as nuclear accidents and nuclear weapons proliferation.