1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free energy Helmholtz using only the equation of state

1. Jul 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a state ecuation of a gas:
    PV=AT+B/V, where A and B there are constants.
    First: Demonstrate that ##c_V## depends only of T
    Second: Find U(T,V) and S(T,V)

2. Relevant equations
    ##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}\right)_V=T\text{ (1)}##
    ##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_S=-p\text{ (2)}##
    ##F=U-TS\text{ (3)}##
    ##\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V}\right)_T=-p\text{ (4)}##
    ##\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}\right)_V=-S\text{ (5)}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For second item, I think use first (2) and then integrate respect to V using the state ecuation, I got:
    ##U(S,V)=-AT\ln V+B/V+u(S)##
    when u(S) is a constant integration, then I use the (1) for find u(S) and the complete expression for U(S,V):
    ##U(S,V)=-AT\ln V+B/V+TS+U_0##
    now using (4) I would like to obtain the free energy of Helmholtz:
    \begin{equation}
    F(T,V)=-ATlnV+B/V+f(T)
    \end{equation}
    when f(T) it is a new constant integration, then I use the (5) I got:
    -S(T,V)=-AlnV+f'(T) then S(T,V)=AlnV-f'(T)
    if F=U(S,V)-TS(T,V) and derivate respect to T, this it is the same
    -AlnV=-AlnV+f'(T)
    therefore f(T)=c with c constant, then
    S(T,V)=AlnV-c
    and
    U(T,V)=-ATlnV+B/V-cT+U0

Well, I doubt that the entropy don't depends of T, I haven't see the error, it should be something like to
    ##S(T,V)=S_0+c_V\ln\frac{T}{T_0}+R\ln\frac{V}{V_0}## for a van der Waals gases
    (Sears, Thermodynamics, chapter 9)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2017 #2
    What is the equation for dU in terms of dT, Cv, P, and dV?

4. Jul 15, 2017 #3
    Hi, do you mean at this?
    $$dU=TdS-pdV$$ or another form
    $$dU=c_vdT-pdV$$
    but I can't the real form for ##c_v##, except of course $$c_V=T\left(\frac{dS}{dT}\right)_V$$ but I haven't if the expression for S(T,V) found is correct.

5. Jul 15, 2017 #4
    This equation is incorrect. It should read $$dU=c_vdT+\left(T\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}-P\right)dV$$From a Maxwell relation involving dF=-SdT-PdV, what is ##\partial S/\partial V## at constant T in terms of P, V, and T?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. Jul 16, 2017 #5
    Yeah! thanks a lot, reviewing a lot of writings, I see the same but I do not complete de entropy. My doubt now is the ##c_V## because except that the problem say it is constant, good! but if ##c_V=c_V(T)## there will be a integral in the expression for energy and entropy.

For the first issue, I think this:
    for the first principle ##dU=TdS-pdV## and ##dU## and ##dS## there are exact differential, rewriting:
    $$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_TdV=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV-pdV$$
    gathering differentials for ##dT##
    $$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
    when the term ##T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V## is the specific heat at V constant $c_v$, therefore only depend of T

This is correct?

7. Jul 16, 2017 #6
    Well, your math is correct. But you still haven't proven that Cv depends only on T for this particular equation of state. Do you know how to determine ##\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T## in terms of P, V, and T? Do you know how to show that
    $$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V$$

8. Jul 16, 2017 #7
    I think I understand what you say:
    I must prove that:
    $$
    \frac{\partial c_v}{\partial V}=0$$
    how
    $$\frac{\partial c_v}{\partial V}=T\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial V}\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]_T$$
    and how the Maxwell relation say:
    $$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
    then
    $$\frac{\partial c_v}{\partial V}=T\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial V}\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]_T$$
    using the equation of state:
    $$\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V=A/V$$
    therefore deriving again respect to T it is null, then ##c_V## it does not depend on ##V##.

9. Jul 16, 2017 #8
    Correct.

10. Jul 16, 2017 #9
    Actually, you have $$dU=C_vdT-\frac{B}{V^2}dV$$. This also shows that Cv is dependent only on temperature.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted