1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-fall Acceleration with Centrifugal Force

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From Taylor's "Classical Mechanics", problem 9.15:

On a certain planet, which is perfectly spherically symmetric, the free-fall acceleration has magnitude [tex]g = g_0[/tex] at the North Pole and [tex]g = \lambda[/tex] [tex]g_0[/tex] at the equator (with 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] 1). Find g([tex]\theta[/tex]), the free-fall acceleration at colatitude [tex]\theta[/tex] as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]g = g_0 + (\Omega \times R) \times \Omega[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The north pole corresponds to a colatitude of 0 degrees, and the equator corresponds to 90 degrees. Using these values, and a trial-and-error approach, I arrived at the equation

[tex]g(\theta) = g_{0}(Sin(\theta) + \lambda Cos(\theta))[/tex]

the book gives the following answer:

[tex]g(\theta) = g_{0}\sqrt{Sin^{2}(\theta) + \lambda^{2} Cos^{2}(\theta)}[/tex]

And I'm not really sure where to start with this. The equation I've given is the only one given for free-fall acceleration, but I can't see any way to manipulate it into anything like this answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    You can compute [tex]g[/tex] as a function of theta with [tex]g = g_0 + (\Omega \times R) \times \Omega[/tex]

this is a vector equation and [tex]g_0[/tex] doesn't point in the same direction as [tex](\Omega \times R) \times \Omega[/tex]
    Once you've done that you can find [tex]\Lambda[/tex] by looking at what happens at the equator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?