1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free product of non-trivial groups is non-abelian

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    Hello

I have to show that the free product of a collection of more than one non-trivial group is non-abelian.

But doesn't this just follow from the definition of the free product?
    Or how would you tackle this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well... what definition of free product are you using, and how does non-abelian follow from it?

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    You mean the definition of the free product?

As a set, the free product  G consists of all
    words g_1g_2.. .g_m of arbitrary finite length m > 0, where each letter g_i belongs to
    a group G_ i and is not the identity element of G_ i , and adjacent letters g_i and g_(i+1‚)
    belong to different groups G .

For a counterexample to being abelian i thought about:
    [itex]\pi_1(S^1 \vee S^1)[/itex] which corresponds to the free product of the fundamental groups of S^1 and which is not abbelian

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So if you have two groups G and H, and you look at G*H, can you identify two elements in G*H which do not commute?

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5
    Hi Office_Shredder

Thanks for your answer.
    >So if you have two groups G and H, and you look at G*H, can you identify two elements in G*H which do not commute?

Thats what I meant when I wrote in the beginning that it almost follows form the definition, because it holds for any two non trivial items g,h from G,H respectively that g*h is not the same as h*g.

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's almost trivial. g*h is not equal to h*g if g and h are not the identities of their respective groups.

8. Dec 15, 2011 #7
    So is there actually something to prove here?

9. Dec 15, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not much. gh is not equal to hg because g isn't equal h and neither is the identity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook