Free product of non-trivial groups is non-abelian

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and properties of the free product of groups, specifically how it is non-abelian by default. The conversation also touches on the concept of elements not commuting in the free product. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is not much to prove as it is almost trivially true.
James4
Hello

I have to show that the free product of a collection of more than one non-trivial group is non-abelian.

But doesn't this just follow from the definition of the free product?
Or how would you tackle this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well... what definition of free product are you using, and how does non-abelian follow from it?

You mean the definition of the free product?

As a set, the free product  G consists of all
words g_1g_2.. .g_m of arbitrary finite length m > 0, where each letter g_i belongs to
a group G_ i and is not the identity element of G_ i , and adjacent letters g_i and g_(i+1‚)
belong to different groups G .

For a counterexample to being abelian i thought about:
[itex]\pi_1(S^1 \vee S^1)[/itex] which corresponds to the free product of the fundamental groups of S^1 and which is not abbelian

So if you have two groups G and H, and you look at G*H, can you identify two elements in G*H which do not commute?

Hi Office_Shredder

Thanks for your answer.
>So if you have two groups G and H, and you look at G*H, can you identify two elements in G*H which do not commute?

Thats what I meant when I wrote in the beginning that it almost follows form the definition, because it holds for any two non trivial items g,h from G,H respectively that g*h is not the same as h*g.

James4 said:
Hi Office_Shredder

Thanks for your answer.
>So if you have two groups G and H, and you look at G*H, can you identify two elements in G*H which do not commute?

Thats what I meant when I wrote in the beginning that it almost follows form the definition, because it holds for any two non trivial items g,h from G,H respectively that g*h is not the same as h*g.

Yes, it's almost trivial. g*h is not equal to h*g if g and h are not the identities of their respective groups.

So is there actually something to prove here?

James4 said:
So is there actually something to prove here?

Not much. gh is not equal to hg because g isn't equal h and neither is the identity.

1. What is the definition of a non-abelian group?

A non-abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. The operation is not commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined matters.

2. What is the difference between an abelian and a non-abelian group?

An abelian group is a group where the operation is commutative, meaning that changing the order of the elements in the operation does not change the result. A non-abelian group, on the other hand, does not have this property and the order of the elements in the operation does matter.

3. Why is the free product of non-abelian groups always non-abelian?

The free product of two groups is defined as the smallest group that contains both of the original groups. Since non-abelian groups do not have the commutative property, the free product of two non-abelian groups will also not have this property and therefore will always be non-abelian.

4. How does the free product of non-abelian groups differ from the direct product?

The direct product of two groups is a special case of the free product, where the two groups are required to be abelian. In the direct product, the elements from each group commute with each other, while in the free product of non-abelian groups, the elements do not necessarily commute.

5. Can the free product of non-abelian groups ever be abelian?

No, the free product of non-abelian groups will always be non-abelian. This is because the free product is defined as the smallest group that contains both of the original groups, and since the original groups are non-abelian, the free product will also be non-abelian.