1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FreeFall motion Assumptions in proving

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a stone is thrown vertically upwards with a speed of u metres per second. a second stone is thrown vertically uppwards from the same point with the same initial speed but T seconds later than the first. prove that they collide at a distance (4u^2-g^2T^2)/(8g) metres above the point of projection.

2. Relevant equations
    s=ut+.5(g)(t)^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    now i should resolve vertically so i would get s= uT + .5(g)T^2 for the second and s= u(X-T)+ .5(g)(X-T)^2 for the first but when i attempt to get the answer i fail miserably or everything just cancels out. can someone help me with this?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    initial velocity is u and that time after second stone is thrown is T

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    Can you show us what you have done so far? And which way is your coordinate axis pointing?

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    well i got u(X-T)+ .5(g)(X-T)^2= uT + .5(g)T^2 thus it is equal to uX-2uT+.5gx^2-.5gXT thats all i could get

5. Oct 10, 2012 #4
    what do you mean with coordinate axis?

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5
    I mean, in which direction does the y axis point? Does it point upward? I.e. does higher positions correspond to higher values of y? Because, in that case the formula the gravitational acceleration is opposite to the y axis, and the acceleration [itex]a=-g[/itex]. You would then have
    [itex]y_1 = ut - \frac{gt^2}{2}[/itex]
    for the first stone, where [itex]t[/itex] is the time, and we let [itex]y=0[/itex] at the starting point of the throw. The other stone satisfies
    [itex]y_2 = u (t-T) - \frac{g}{2} \left( t-T \right)^2[/itex].

OK, so then you say they collide when [itex]y_1=y_2[/itex]. That's good, but what does it tell you?

7. Oct 10, 2012 #6
    oh yeah well its going upwards so yeah. well that the y's are the same. thats all i am able to assume

8. Oct 10, 2012 #7
    My point is the equaton [itex]y_1=y_2[/itex] does not tell you at which height they collide. It does, however, provide some other useful information.

9. Oct 10, 2012 #8
    such as the time it takes for them to collide? and their initial velocity perhaps?

10. Oct 10, 2012 #9
    One of them, certainly. The initial velocity is already known though, as it is given in the problem description.

11. Oct 10, 2012 #10
    i got that T=(2gt+1)/t

12. Oct 11, 2012 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you mixed up the roles of T and t?
    (Do you remember which time, t or T, you need?)
    Have you cancelled too many terms?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook