Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freezing @ 500 degrees centigrade

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    i found this in a text book.
    at a high altitude the temperature of the atmosphere is 500 degrees centigrade. yet an animal there would freeze to death and not boil. why does this happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a reference for this? That region of the atmosphere is called the "thermosphere", but I don't see why an animal would freeze there. By then you are basically in space, and what happens in space is a lot more complicated than saying you'd "freeze to death" (you'd suffocate first...).

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suppose that although the temperature of the few gas molecules flying around might be 500deg - you are facing a lot of solid angle of 3K space, so radiatively you woul dget pretty cold pretty quickly.

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't make any sense to me. You get cold by transferring heat, so while it is true that there is not enough air to gain heat by convection, you can't lose heat by convection either. So how do you (or that thermometer) get cold? Radiation? Well....
    If the air gets hot by absorbing solar radiation, why wouldn't you? At night, though, you would certainly get cold by radiating heat (though we calculated that once here and found that you could stand it for quite a while - probably indefinitely with a little insulation).

A thermometer doesn't generate its own heat, but we do.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?