Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency correlation between two non stationary signals

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I have measured the torque and the speed of a shaft when running at a variable speed. From the measurements, torque fluctuations are in the torque signals and I have the feeling that the fluctuations frequency is the shaft speed. I need to verify this with some signal statistics functions. In case the shaft speed would have been constant, I would have computed the PSD of the torque signal and I would have compared its peak frequency with the shaft speed. But what should I do with two non stationary signals?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(a) use a different model
    (b) eliminate a variable in the experiment

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the speed variation itself periodic?

If yes, you can still use FFT on the whole signal and you will just get another peak for the frequency of speed variation.

You could also try a short-time Fourier transform (STFT) or wavelet transform if you wish to analyze the signals as a function of time as well.

5. Jun 8, 2015 #4
    Hi Boneh3ad,

thanks for youre reply. The speed variation is not periodic. I may try the STFT, thanks

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook