Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Frequency of Generator + V of Capacitor

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1
    1. A 8.6 Hz generator is connected to a capacitor. If the current in the generator has its maximum value at t=0 s, what is the earliest possible time that the voltage magnitude across the capacitor is at a maximum?

2. I'm actually not sure which equations are relevant for this problem!

3. I'm afraid I don't understand the concepts behind this problem. I read in my book about oscillations in an LC circuit with no generator, but then I don't understand how this can be applied when there *is* a generator with its own frequency. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

It depends on the waveform of the generator. If we assume sinusoidal then the voltage from the generator is V*cos(2*pi*8.6*t) which has its maximum V when t=0 as required. Find the formula that tells you how a capacitor charges and you're halfway there.

4. Mar 19, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Except the problem statement says that the current is max at t=0, not the voltage. kmj9k, what is the relationship between voltage and current in a capacitor? Assume a sinusoidal waveform along the lines of what Mentz suggested....will the current lead or lag the voltage in a capacitor?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook