• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Frequency of Generator + V of Capacitor

• Thread starter kmj9k
  • Start date
1. A 8.6 Hz generator is connected to a capacitor. If the current in the generator has its maximum value at t=0 s, what is the earliest possible time that the voltage magnitude across the capacitor is at a maximum?

2. I'm actually not sure which equations are relevant for this problem!

3. I'm afraid I don't understand the concepts behind this problem. I read in my book about oscillations in an LC circuit with no generator, but then I don't understand how this can be applied when there *is* a generator with its own frequency. Any help would be appreciated!

Answers and Replies

It depends on the waveform of the generator. If we assume sinusoidal then the voltage from the generator is V*cos(2*pi*8.6*t) which has its maximum V when t=0 as required. Find the formula that tells you how a capacitor charges and you're halfway there.

berkeman
Mentor
It depends on the waveform of the generator. If we assume sinusoidal then the voltage from the generator is V*cos(2*pi*8.6*t) which has its maximum V when t=0 as required.
Except the problem statement says that the current is max at t=0, not the voltage. kmj9k, what is the relationship between voltage and current in a capacitor? Assume a sinusoidal waveform along the lines of what Mentz suggested....will the current lead or lag the voltage in a capacitor?