Maximum and minimum values of a variable capacitor

In summary, the tuning circuit for an AM radio is a parallel circuit with an inductor value of 8.6×10-6 H. To receive frequencies from 590k Hz to 1670k Hz, the maximum and minimum values of the variable capacitor must be 8.461E-9 F and 1.056E-9 F, respectively. The equations used to calculate these values are C = 1 / [(L)(4pi^2)(f^2)] and f = 1 / (2pi√(LC)).
rlc

Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-25_11-3-1.png

A parallel circuit like that in the figure forms the tuning circuit for an AM radio. If the inductor has a value of 8.6×10-6 H, what must be the maximum and minimum values of the variable capacitor if the radio receives frequencies from 590k Hz to 1670k Hz?
a) Maximum C?
b) Minimum C?

Homework Equations

w=2*pie*f
f=1/(2*pie*sqrt(LC))

sqrt(LC) = 1 / (2 pi f)
LC = 1 / (2 pi f)^2
C = 1 / [ (2 pi f}^2 L)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the inductor value 8.6E-6 H the variable f in the equation? Are those equations even the ones I use?
590k Hz= 5.9E5 Hz
How do I begin this problem? I'm just really confused

Physics news on Phys.org
rlc said:
Is the inductor value 8.6E-6 H the variable f in the equation? Are those equations even the ones I use?
By convention the variable name used for inductance is L. f is frequency. C is capacitance.

Likes rlc
C = 1 / [(L)(4pi^2)(f^2)]
Cmax= 1 / [(8.6E-6)(4pi^2)(590E3)^2]
Cmax=8.461E-9 F

Cmin=1 / [(8.6E-6)(4pi^2)(1670E3)^2]
Cmin=1.056E-9 F

*I kept getting this wrong because the equation in the Relevant Equations part had a 2 instead of a 4*

1. What is a variable capacitor?

A variable capacitor is an electronic component that has the ability to change its capacitance (the amount of electric charge it can store) by adjusting its physical dimensions or material properties.

2. What are the maximum and minimum values of a variable capacitor?

The maximum and minimum values of a variable capacitor depend on its design and purpose. Generally, the maximum capacitance can range from a few picofarads to hundreds of microfarads, while the minimum capacitance can range from a few picofarads to almost zero.

3. How does a variable capacitor work?

A variable capacitor works by adjusting the distance between two conductive plates or by changing the surface area of the plates. This changes the amount of electric charge that can be stored, thus altering the capacitance.

4. What are the applications of variable capacitors?

Variable capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits for tuning purposes, in audio circuits for volume control, and in variable power supplies for voltage regulation. They are also used in sensors and various types of electronic filters.

5. How can I determine the maximum and minimum values of a variable capacitor?

The maximum and minimum values of a variable capacitor can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's datasheet or by measuring the capacitance using a multimeter. The values may also be labeled on the capacitor itself. It is important to note that the values may vary slightly due to external factors such as temperature and voltage.