Generate sine wave with signal generator on scope

In summary, the individual is having difficulty generating a sine signal on their function generator and displaying it on their oscilloscope. They have tried changing the signal shape and frequency on both the generator and scope, but there is no change in the displayed signal. They do not need to connect the generator to a DC bench power supply and have also tried using an analogue signal generator with no success. They suspect there may be a setting on the oscilloscope that is incorrect and suggest checking the probe and adjusting the frequency response. They also mention a dedicated square wave signal for testing and clarify that changing the generator frequency does not affect the displayed waveform.
loesung
I'm new to electronics, and using my new equiptment I would like to generate a sine signal on my function generator and display it on my oscilloscope.

Equipment:

* The scope is Rigol DS1054Z
* Function generator is a $60 digital chinese.

My problem is:

When I plug connect the function generator to the scope, the signal changes on the scope from a flat line to the mountain shape - see here (https://imgur.com/a/nAytK). From the pics you can see the mountainy shapes. However any setting modification on the signal generator does not change displayed signal on the scope. On signal generator tried changing:

* signal shape (sine, sawtooth, etc)

* frequency - value and scale (Mhz, Hz, kHz) on both signal generator and scope.In any case - No change to displayed signal on Oscope.

I understand I do *not* need to connect the signal generator to a dc bench power supply. Just a direct connection between it and the scope is necessary, as I've seen in youtube videos such as [this tutorial]()

I also have an anaolgue signal generator i picked up from ebay. Using that does not change anything - which makes me suspect there's a setting on the Oscope that's incorrect ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't look at either scope or generator specs, but a good place to start is the scope probe.

If it is switchable between 1:1 and 10:1 attenuation, try it at 10:1. Rather doubt it, but low o'scope input impedance may be swamping the generator signal.

How does a square wave display?
Capacitor compensated probes have one way or another to fine-tune frequency response. Many have an adjustable capacitor trimmer screw head on the probe body while others build it into a pod proximate to the BNC connector. Adjust it to display a "square" square wave with no roll-off or peaking at the leading edge.Many scopes have a dedicated square wave signal brought out to the front panel for such testing.

Re-read the post: Do you mean changing generator frequency does nothing to the displayed waveform? If so, chances are the connection between generator to scope is poor or non-existent, and you are measuring noise.

1. What is a signal generator?

A signal generator is a device that can produce electronic signals of different frequencies, amplitudes, and waveforms. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications to test and measure electronic equipment.

2. How does a signal generator generate a sine wave?

A signal generator consists of an oscillator circuit that generates an electrical signal with a specific frequency. This signal is then amplified and sent to an output. The oscillator circuit generates a sine wave by using a feedback mechanism to maintain a constant amplitude and frequency.

3. Can a signal generator produce other types of waveforms besides a sine wave?

Yes, a signal generator can produce a variety of waveforms, including square, triangle, sawtooth, and pulse waves. Some advanced signal generators can also generate arbitrary waveforms, which can be customized to simulate complex signals.

4. How do I use a signal generator to generate a sine wave on a scope?

To generate a sine wave on a scope using a signal generator, you will need to connect the output of the signal generator to the input of the scope. Set the signal generator to produce a sine wave with the desired frequency and amplitude, and adjust the scope settings to display the signal accurately.

5. What are the applications of generating a sine wave with a signal generator on a scope?

Generating a sine wave with a signal generator on a scope is useful for testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits and equipment. It can also be used in research and development to study the behavior of different components and systems under various frequencies and amplitudes.