Frequency of Oscillation, with mass and k value given

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg mass attached to a spring with a force constant of 990 N/m. Using the equations for frequency of oscillation, the resulting frequency is approximately 3.5 Hz. The answer in the book is given as 4.0 Hz, but this may be due to rounding or an error in the answer key. The concept of equilibrium was not explicitly mentioned in the problem, but could potentially affect the solution. After receiving confirmation from the teacher, the solution method and result are correct.
LaLaLina

Homework Statement

A mass m = 2.0 kg is attached to a spring having a force constant k = 990 N/m as in the figure. The mass is displaced from its equilibrium position and released. Its frequency of oscillation (in Hz) is approximately _____ . [/B]
upload_2014-12-5_17-52-8.png

Homework Equations

[itex] \omega=\sqrt\frac{k}{m} [/itex]
[itex] T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega} [/itex] [itex] f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi} [/itex]
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

m= 2.0 kg
k= 990 N/m
f = ?
omega = sqrt((990N/m)/(2.0kg)) = 22.25 rad/s
f= (22.25 rad/s)/(2pi) = 3.5 Hz

The answer to the problem, is 4.0 Hz. However, I don't believe I should have rounded up. I believe I have made an error in how to solve the problem.

Have I gone wrong in choosing the formulas to use? or
Should I have taken something else into account based on the mention of the equilibrium statement? and if so, what does that imply?
I recall doing another type of spring problem where it went past its point of equilibrium, but we were using velocity and its angle and solving for v using
dy/dt = -A(omega)sin(omega(t)+phi), however I was reviewing the slides before this problem, and it doesn't seem to address the equilibrium.

I thank you for your assistance very much. I'm studying for my final on Monday and I'm trying to be prepared.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LaLaLina, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your solution method and result look fine. It's possible that at some point someone changed a parameter in the problem in order to make it a "new" problem, but didn't update the answer key.

your calculation looks fine to me. 3.5 Hz is correct to 2 significant figures and 4 Hz is correct to 1 significant figure. Although, it is weird that your teacher (or professor or book) wrote 4.0 Hz, since this would usually imply 2 significant figures of precision... maybe it is just an error in the book like gneill says

Thank you so much. I got an email back from him, and he said I did wonderful. That it was supposed to be an approximation. So, there in lies the answer I guess. I on the other hand am sitting here worrying my brain out over knowing how to do a problem correctly with this final coming up that is 30% of my grade, so I wanted to make SURE I knew what I was doing.

Thank you both for your feedback.I feel much better now.

Glad we could help. That's what Physics Forums is all about :)

Likes BruceW and LaLaLina
Oh my! I just now noticed the T.A.R.D.I.S.
fellow Whovian in the house!

Thanks again.

1. What is the formula for frequency of oscillation?

The formula for frequency of oscillation is f = 1/(2π) √(k/m), where f is the frequency in Hertz (Hz), k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter (N/m), and m is the mass in kilograms (kg).

2. How does the mass affect the frequency of oscillation?

The mass has an inverse relationship with the frequency of oscillation. This means that as the mass increases, the frequency decreases. So a lighter mass will have a higher frequency of oscillation than a heavier mass.

3. How does the spring constant affect the frequency of oscillation?

The spring constant has a direct relationship with the frequency of oscillation. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency also increases. So a stiffer spring will have a higher frequency of oscillation than a less stiff spring.

4. Can the frequency of oscillation be changed?

Yes, the frequency of oscillation can be changed by altering either the mass or the spring constant. Changing the mass or spring constant will result in a change in the frequency of oscillation.

5. What are the units for frequency of oscillation?

The units for frequency of oscillation are Hertz (Hz). This unit is equivalent to cycles per second, meaning that it represents how many complete oscillations occur in one second.