Frequency, Velocity and Wavelength of Light

In summary: No one has ever measured the frequency of light when it's affected by gravity.Edit: Forgot to ask my last question. When measuring the frequency of light when it's under the effect of gravity, how do we know the device measuring the frequency is not affected by gravity?In summary, when light goes through different mediums, its velocity and wavelength change but the frequency stays the same. However, when light is affected by gravity, its frequency and wavelength change but its velocity remains the same due to the curvature of spacetime. This can lead to a change in energy, even without a force acting upon it. The change in frequency and velocity depends on the physical situation, but in general relativity, all gravitational effects on everything are due to
Nugso
Gold Member
Hello all. When light goes through one medium to another, its velocity and wavelength change but frequency remains the same. If the wavelength of light decreases, the length between two crests decreases, doesn't that mean there will be more wave hence frequency will have to increase? I tried to find an animation that explains it, but couldn't find one.

The other question is, when light is affected by gravity, this time its frequency and wavelength change, but its velocity remains the same. Well, light is not directly by gravity but its spacetime path is curved. Since we know E=hf, and in that case f changes thus light's energy also changes. How can its energy change when there's no force acting upon it?

Why does sometime frequency change and sometimes velocity?

Edit: Forgot to ask my last question. When measuring the frequency of light when it's under the effect of gravity, how do we know the device measuring the frequency is not affected by gravity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nugso said:
Hello all. When light goes through one medium to another, its velocity and wavelength change but frequency remains the same. If the wavelength of light decreases, the length between two crests decreases, doesn't that mean there will be more wave hence frequency will have to increase? I tried to find an animation that explains it, but couldn't find one.
The speed is equal to the frequency times the wavelength (number of peaks passing by in a given period of time, times the distance between peaks). So it's possible to change any two while keeping the third constant.

The other question is, when light is affected by gravity, this time its frequency and wavelength change, but its velocity remains the same. Well, light is not directly by gravity but its spacetime path is curved. Since we know E=hf, and in that case f changes thus light's energy also changes. How can its energy change when there's no force acting upon it?
in general relativity all gravitational effects on everything, regardless of composition, are due to curvature not a force acting between things. Thus, GR predicts that gravity will affect everything, including light, the same way - and in fact that's where the prediction of gravitational redshift came from. As for the obvious follow-on question "how does following a curved path in free-fall lead to an energy change?"... You'll find plenty of previous threads discussing this.

Why does sometime frequency change and sometimes velocity?
it depends on the physics of the particular situation you're considering. In the gravitational redshift case, the speed of light in a vacuum must always be ##c##, so the loss of energy when light travels "uphill" requires that the frequency fall and the wavelength increase (speed equals frequency times wavelength, remember). In a medium in which light travels at a speed less than c, the frequency can remain constant while the speed and the wavelength both go down.
Edit: Forgot to ask my last question. When measuring the frequency of light when it's under the effect of gravity, how do we know the device measuring the frequency is not affected by gravity?
We can lower the light source into the gravity well, watching the frequency decrease as the depth increases. Or (which comes down to the same thing) we set up multiple identically constructed light sources at different depths, compare the measured frequency of each.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Nugatory,
Nugatory said:
in general relativity all gravitational effects on everything, regardless of composition, are due to curvature not a force acting between things. Thus, GR predicts that gravity will affect everything, including light, the same way - and in fact that's where the prediction of gravitational redshift came from. As for the obvious follow-on question "how does following a curved path in free-fall lead to an energy change?"... You'll find plenty of previous threads discussing this.

"how does following a curved path in free-fall lead to an energy change?" Thanks! I just couldn't articulate myself. Searching for the threads.
Nugatory said:
it depends on the physics of the particular situation you're considering. In the gravitational redshift case, the speed of light in a vacuum must always be ##c##, so the loss of energy when light travels "uphill" requires that the frequency fall and the wavelength increase (speed equals frequency times wavelength, remember). In a medium in which light travels at a speed less than c, the frequency can remain constant while the speed and the wavelength both go down.

Do you know of a situation where wavelength remains the same whereas speed and frequency change?

According to the gravitational redshift case, there's also "Gravitational Time Dilation", which says that a clock that's under the effect of gravitational field runs more slowly.
Einstein-Newton-deflection-75.gif

And according to the picture above, the distance light travels extends due to gravitational field. We know that x = v.t, and in that case x increases while t decreases(?). How's that possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look closely at the green dot representing the GR case. It arrive at the observer after the black and red dots so both x and t increase relative to the other cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
yuiop said:
Look closely at the green dot representing the GR case. It arrive at the observer after the black and red dots so both x and t increase relative to the other cases.

You're right but the gravitational time dilation says that a clock runs more slowly. I don't seem to get the relation between that sentence and the picture.

Nugso said:
You're right but the gravitational time dilation says that a clock runs more slowly. I don't seem to get the relation between that sentence and the picture.
The time t is the time according to the time at the source and at the observer far away from the gravitational body. Photons do not record time, but if the photon was replaced by a particle moving close to c, then the travel time recorded by the particle would be less than the travel time according to the far away observer.

Nugso said:
...but its velocity remains the same.

Keep in mind that this is only true locally.

Anyways, you can use a simple conservation of energy argument to show that gravitational redshift is necessary. Also, being affected by non-trivial space-time geometry is the exact same thing as being affected by gravity!

@yuiop, So it's kind of all about relativity of time, right?
@WannaBeNewton, Can you please elaborate? Both my English and Physic levels are low so I usually have a hard time grasping and understanding things.

Nugso said:
@WannaBeNewton, Can you please elaborate?

Elaborate on what specifically, sorry? I'd be happy to elaborate on whichever point you wish!

WannabeNewton said:
Elaborate on what specifically, sorry? I'd be happy to elaborate on whichever point you wish!

Ah, I should have eleborated first! What did you mean by "locally"?

Nugso said:
Ah, I should have eleborated first! What did you mean by "locally"?

Locally in this context means that if the worldline of an observer intersects the worldline of a light ray at some event and the observer measures the speed of the light ray at that coincident event then he will find that ##v = 1##. When an observer measures the speed of a light ray or the relative speed of another observer, the measurement is always done at a single event that lies on both their worldlines; this is what is meant by locally.

Haha that drawing reminds me of the old Nickelodeon show Chalk Zone :p

But yes that is exactly what happens. ##v = 1## is in natural units (so that in particular ##c = 1##) meaning it's the same thing as ##v = c##.

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
Haha that drawing reminds me of the old Nickelodeon show Chalk Zone :p

But yes that is exactly what happens. ##v = 1## is in natural units (so that in particular ##c = 1##) meaning it's the same thing as ##v = c##.

Couldn't have expressed myself better!

I was thinking how could it be 1. Turns out it's in natural units. Many thanks!

What is the relationship between frequency, velocity and wavelength of light?

The three properties of light - frequency, velocity, and wavelength - are closely related to each other. The frequency of light refers to the number of wave cycles that pass through a point in one second. The velocity of light refers to the speed at which light travels, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. The wavelength of light refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a light wave. The relationship between these properties can be described by the equation: velocity = frequency x wavelength.

How does the frequency of light affect its color?

The frequency of light is directly related to its color. The visible spectrum of light ranges from red, which has the lowest frequency, to violet, which has the highest frequency. When light with different frequencies enters our eyes, they are interpreted as different colors. For example, red light has a lower frequency and longer wavelength, while blue light has a higher frequency and shorter wavelength.

What is the difference between frequency, velocity, and wavelength of light?

Frequency, velocity, and wavelength are all different properties of light. Frequency refers to the number of wave cycles passing through a point in one second, velocity refers to the speed at which light travels, and wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a light wave. While they are all related to each other, they each represent different aspects of light and are measured in different units.

How is the frequency of light measured?

The frequency of light is typically measured in units of hertz (Hz), which represents the number of wave cycles per second. This can be measured using specialized equipment such as a spectrometer or a frequency counter. Alternatively, the frequency of light can also be calculated from its wavelength and velocity using the equation: frequency = velocity / wavelength.

Can the frequency, velocity, and wavelength of light be changed?

The frequency, velocity, and wavelength of light can all be changed through various means. For example, the frequency and wavelength of light can be altered by passing through different mediums, such as a prism, which separates white light into its component colors. Additionally, the frequency of light can be changed through the process of Doppler shifting, which occurs when the source of light is moving relative to the observer. However, the velocity of light is considered to be constant and cannot be changed.