Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge

In summary, when light is diffracted from a straight edge, there are usually two zones where the diffracted light is either very bright or very dark, depending on the number of half-periods in the zone. This is based on the idea of circular apertures, where the further out from the center the aperture is, the longer the light has to travel and the greater the phase shift.
Vaibhav DixiT
I read in texts that when a rays of light are diffracted from a straight edge, the phenomenon can be explained using the half period zones.

The things that is confusing me is this: "Odd number of half period zones, if exposed, lead to a bright fringe. Even number of half period zones exposed lead to a dark fringe on the screen"

can anyone shed some light on this?

Science news on Phys.org
I thought that 'zones' were used in analysing diffraction in circular apertures and not straight edges. Do you have a reference?

sophiecentaur said:
I thought that 'zones' were used in analysing diffraction in circular apertures and not straight edges. Do you have a reference?
My bad, I wrote straight edge by mistake.

Vaibhav DixiT said:
My bad, I wrote straight edge by mistake.

You have to look at the definition of a 'zone'. The further out from the center the light goes, the longer distance it has to travel, which shows up in the end on the screen as a phase shift of light, thus larger shifts the further out it went. The first zone is simply the light that is within one half of a period phase shift from each other, meaning it can approximately be assumed to be in-phase, giving a maximum. Then, the second zone, also comprising one half of a period, will then be approximately out of phase with the first zone (since all the rays from the second zone lies outside, they travel longer distance and have larger phase shift, one half more phase shift according to the definition). If you count the two inner zones, or any even number they will be roughly out of phase all together and thus give a minimum.

Is that enough of an explanation?

Vaibhav DixiT said:
Odd number of half period zones, if exposed, lead to a bright fringe.
Can you give a reference to this please? Where is the "fringe" that they produce, in this statement? Do you mean a centre spot or a ring around it? The diffraction pattern will always have the same total amount of light and it just depends upon where you get constructive interference and where not.
How familiar are you with two slit diffraction and the way a simple diffraction grating works? In the case of a zone plate, you are dealing with a two dimensional array of sources (and the pattern requires integration to calculate it, unlike a simple array of point sources) But you can identify where maxes and mins are going to occur.
http://depts.washington.edu/jrphys/ph331/share/zone.pdf which (to me) seems to give a reasonable answer to your question.

What is Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge?

Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves pass through a narrow slit or a sharp edge. It causes the light to diffract, or spread out, and create a pattern of light and dark regions on a screen.

How does Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge differ from Fraunhofer Diffraction?

The main difference between Fresnel Diffraction and Fraunhofer Diffraction is the distance between the light source, the slit, and the screen. In Fresnel Diffraction, all three components are relatively close together, while in Fraunhofer Diffraction, the light source is assumed to be at an infinite distance from the slit and screen.

What factors affect the intensity of the diffraction pattern in Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge?

The intensity of the diffraction pattern in Fresnel Diffraction is affected by the wavelength of the light, the size of the slit or edge, and the distance between the slit or edge and the screen.

Can Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge can be observed in everyday life in various situations. For example, when sunlight passes through a narrow opening in a window or doorway, the diffraction pattern can be seen on the floor or wall behind it.

How is Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge useful in scientific research?

Fresnel Diffraction through a straight edge is useful in scientific research as it helps us understand the behavior of light waves and can be used to study the properties of light. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy.