Question about dark fringe in diffraction

In summary: This is because the path difference is still one wavelength. The reason for this is that the surface of a slit is a series of straight lines, and the wavelength of light is related to the length of the line.
kelvin490
Gold Member
In finding the angle for the mth dark fringe of single slit diffraction using Huygen's principle, they usually split the slit into equal portions. For example, to find the first dark fringe the slit is split into two equal spacings and if the path difference between the edge and the middle point is half wavelength then the angle corresponds to the first dark fringe. An example is shown in p.4 of http://www.csun.edu/~rd436460/100B/lectures/chapter28-4-5.pdf

To find higher order such as 2nd order they split it into four equal spacings, as shown in p.5.

My question is, in the 2nd order case if we compare the path difference between the point at the edge and the point at the center, the path difference would be one whole wavelength (because the path difference is half wavelength in a quarter position). Thus construction interference occur. If we compare a point just below the edge and another point just below the center the path difference is still one wavelength, and so on. Then we will get a contradictory conclusion that the pattern is a bright fringe at this angle. Why is it so? I guess there is something wrong there but I cannot figure it out. Also I notice that for other optical phenomena such as multiple slit they always try to find the bright fringe first. However, in single slit or aperture diffraction they always aim at finding dark fringe. If they try to find the bright fringe using similar argument they would get the same problem as above.

I know alternatively one can locate the bright and dark fringe by finding out the intensity of light at difference position of the screen. I have no problem understanding that approach. I just want to know how to understand this in terms of Huygen's principle. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
kelvin490 said:
In finding the angle for the mth dark fringe of single slit diffraction using Huygen's principle, they usually split the slit into equal portions. For example, to find the first dark fringe the slit is split into two equal spacings and if the path difference between the edge and the middle point is half wavelength then the angle corresponds to the first dark fringe. An example is shown in p.4 of http://www.csun.edu/~rd436460/100B/lectures/chapter28-4-5.pdf

To find higher order such as 2nd order they split it into four equal spacings, as shown in p.5.

My question is, in the 2nd order case if we compare the path difference between the point at the edge and the point at the center, the path difference would be one whole wavelength (because the path difference is half wavelength in a quarter position). Thus construction interference occur. If we compare a point just below the edge and another point just below the center the path difference is still one wavelength, and so on. Then we will get a contradictory conclusion that the pattern is a bright fringe at this angle. Why is it so? I guess there is something wrong there but I cannot figure it out. Also I notice that for other optical phenomena such as multiple slit they always try to find the bright fringe first. However, in single slit or aperture diffraction they always aim at finding dark fringe. If they try to find the bright fringe using similar argument they would get the same problem as above.

I know alternatively one can locate the bright and dark fringe by finding out the intensity of light at difference position of the screen. I have no problem understanding that approach. I just want to know how to understand this in terms of Huygen's principle. Thank you.
For the second order case you mention, if you take any two points, there is still light from the other two, and the total result will be the same.

Likes kelvin490

1. What is a dark fringe in diffraction?

A dark fringe in diffraction is a region of darkness that appears on a screen or surface when light passes through a narrow slit or aperture. It is caused by the destructive interference of light waves from different parts of the slit, resulting in a cancellation of light intensity at that point.

2. What is the difference between a dark fringe and a bright fringe in diffraction?

The difference between a dark fringe and a bright fringe in diffraction is the intensity of light at that point. Dark fringes appear where there is a cancellation of light waves, resulting in low or zero intensity, while bright fringes appear where there is constructive interference, resulting in high intensity.

3. How is the position of dark fringes determined in diffraction?

The position of dark fringes in diffraction is determined by the wavelength of light, the distance between the slit or aperture and the screen, and the width of the slit or aperture. This can be calculated using the equation d sinθ = mλ, where d is the distance between the slit and screen, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the fringe, and λ is the wavelength of light.

4. Can dark fringes be observed in other types of diffraction besides single-slit diffraction?

Yes, dark fringes can also be observed in double-slit diffraction, where they appear as dark bands between the bright fringes. They can also be observed in diffraction gratings, which have multiple slits, and in other types of diffraction patterns.

5. What is the significance of dark fringes in diffraction?

Dark fringes in diffraction provide valuable information about the properties of light, such as its wavelength and interference effects. They also help to explain fundamental principles of wave behavior, such as constructive and destructive interference. Additionally, they have practical applications in fields such as optics and microscopy.