Fresnel's Equations: Reflections and Total Internal Reflection

In summary, the equations for the phase shift incurred when light hits an interface between two lossless dielectrics under total internal reflection (TIR) are given in Eq. (6) and (7). Eq. (6) is derived from Fresnel's equations, and Eq. (7) is derived from the addition of pi. The 1/2 in eq. (7) comes from taking a half-angle.
loginorsinup
I am trying to understand the derivation behind the equations for the phase shift incurred when light hits an interface between two lossless dielectrics under total internal reflection (TIR) from what I gathered in S. O. Kasap's Optoelectronics and Photonics.

On the final pair of pages presented here for context there are two equations for the phase shift. I have several questions.

WdOWqY8.png

DpR5ItB.png

zER1MDq.png

1) Where did this expression come from?
  • I get to the point where this comes from Fresnel's equations and that the reflection coefficients can be expressed as complex numbers with magnitudes and phases, but I don't see how that follows to the end result. This book often just jumps to a conclusion, and unless you've seen it before, you end up feeling like you're memorizing something you'll forget in like 3 months.
  • Typically, when I see an equation like this I think of some imaginary part divide some real part of something. I am guessing what they somehow did is took the reflection coefficient and expressed it in rectangular coordinates as a complex number, then divided the imaginary component by the real component.
2) That brings me to my next question, in the expression, you aren't provided tan(ΦTE) but tan(1/2 * ΦTE). Where did the 1/2 come from?

3) How can I use the fact that I know that somehow when TIR occurs, the reflection coefficients for both TE and TM light become complex-valued, and can therefore be represented in polar coordinates (amplitude and phase)?

Lecture slides from just about everywhere on the Internet just take this for granted. I don't even know what to Google for because half the time what I search for turns up stuff about transmission lines and the other half of the time I just get this stuff thrown at me without context.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• WdOWqY8.png
    WdOWqY8.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 721
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Where did this expression come from?
... where did which expression come from?
Each equation is numbered so that you can easily point it out. Do you mean eq(6)?

(2) - the 1/2 comes from taking a half-angle.
The derivation comes in the section immediately above eq(6) and below the pic of Brewster.
You will need to refer to the other equations mentioned to make sense of it better.

(3) That is also described in the passage leading to equ(2) ... how do the coefficients fit in with the components of E?
Note: all complex numbers can be written in polar form like they did here.

Yes, sorry for being vague. I meant eq(6) and eq(7).

Thanks for your input.

In parallel, I was able to derive Eq (6), but Eq (7) and the addition of pi is confusing to me. Shouldn't it be

tan(1/2*π - 1/2*Φ//) = tan(1/2*[π - Φ//) = [... the rest which I have also derived... ]?

instead of

tan(1/2*Φ// + 1/2*π) ?

My rationale is that you're measuring tangent in the second quadrant as r// can be written as (jy-x)/(jy+x) where x and y are real numbers (and jy is an imaginary number with real magnitude y). So, manipulating that into polar form requires you to find the polar form of the numerator and the phasor / polar form of the denominator.

This should be: √(x^2 + y^2) ∠ atan(y/(-x)). This, graphically, would be a triangle with leg / side lengths y and x in the second quadrant of the complex plane. Naturally, the denominator would be √(x^2 + y^2) ∠ atan(y/x). I know the π term in eq(7) comes from the numerator. But I can't quite figure out why it's written as is.

Thanks for your help.

What are Fresnel's equations?

Fresnel's equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of light when it hits the interface between two materials. They are used to calculate the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at the interface.

How do Fresnel's equations relate to reflections?

Fresnel's equations describe the amount of light that is reflected at an interface between two materials. The equations take into account the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the materials, and the polarization of the light.

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray hits an interface at an angle greater than the critical angle and is completely reflected back into the original material. This phenomenon is governed by Fresnel's equations and is important in applications such as fiber optics.

Why is total internal reflection important?

Total internal reflection is important in a variety of applications, including fiber optics, where it allows for the transmission of light over long distances without significant loss. It is also used in optical devices such as prisms and reflectors.

How are Fresnel's equations used in practical applications?

Fresnel's equations are used in a wide range of practical applications, including the design of optical devices, the calculation of reflectivity in coatings and mirrors, and the understanding of phenomena such as total internal reflection. They are also important in the study of optics and light behavior.