1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction - 3 Blocks and a Pulley

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/C0XYEKw

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = m*a
    FG = m*g
    fstatic = μ*N

3. The attempt at a solution
    If both Block 1 and Block 2 have acceleration a in the x-direction and have an acceleration of 0 in the y-direction, then the force of static friction on Block 1 due to Block 2 doesn't seem to depend at all on what Block 2 is doing. This is because the normal force on Block 1 due to Block 2 is still the same as it is at rest and the force of static friction on Block 1 due to Block 2 is the only force acting in the x-direction on Block 1.

I tried this by considering only Block 1 as a system.

In the y-direction, the forces acting on Block 1 are the normal force on Block 1 due to Block 2, N12, and the gravitational force on Block 1 due to the Earth, F1E. The acceleration, ay, is equal to 0.

Thus:

Σ Fnet,y = 0 = N12 - F1E = N12 - m1*g

Thus:

N12 = m1*g

In the x-direction, the only force acting on Block 1 is the force of static friction, which is acting in the right, positive x-direction. The acceleration, ax, is equal to a.

Thus:

Σ Fnet, x = m1*a = fstatic = μ*N12 = μ*m1*g

Thus the force and direction of the force of static friction on Block 1 due to Block 2 is:

fstatic = μ*m1*g

This, however, is the wrong answer.

I don't understand why though. Where am I going wrong?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?
    Imagine that you have a block in rest on a table. The mass of the block is 2 kg, the coefficient of static friction is μs=0.5.

You push the block with force F=1N force. Will the block move? What is the force of friction?
    You push the block with F=9 N force. Will the block move? What is the force of friction now?

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    O.K., I realised I grossly overcomplicated things.

Since the force of static friction on Block 1 due to Block 2 is the only force in the x-direction acting on Block 1, and Block 1 has acceleration a, then Newton's Second Law states that:

∑ Fx = m1*a = fs12

Thus, the force of static friction on Block 1 due to Block 2 is:

fs12 = m1*a

EDIT: Responding to your original question, the force of static friction can take on any value up to a maximum value of μ*m1*g. So, when an applied force of 1 N is acting on Block 1, the force of static friction is 1 N in the opposite direction. As a result, the net force is 0 N and Block 1 does not move. If an applied force of 9 N is acting on Block 1, the force of static friction is at its maximum 9 N (if g = 10 m/s2) in the opposite direction. As a result, Block 1 travels at a constant velocity in the direction of applied force.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  5. Jun 21, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted