Friction coefficient is greater than 1 explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses data from a lab involving friction between a wooden block with a metal weight on it and a metal table. The force of peak static friction is measured using a force meter and Logger Pro, which results in a coefficient of friction of 1.132. The group also discusses the possibility of substances or agents contributing to the friction force and the concept of a limit to the coefficient of friction.
ttttrigg3r
The data came from my lab involving friction between wooden block with metal weight on it and a metal table. The wooden block is moved from rest and the force is measured using a force meter and Logger pro.

Homework Statement

Force of peak static friction = 23.285N. Normal force is 20.567N
u=F/N=1.132

Homework Equations

Why is the coefficient of friction greater than 1? Several groups in my class also had similar results with u>1. Why is that?

My guess is that there are some very small substance or agent between the wood block and table surface that is sticky and adds to friction force, or maybe there is magnetic force because there was a metal weight put on top of the wooden block to add more mass. Are my explanations plausible? Is there a better explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing that says the coefficient of friction can't be greater than 1 .

The only real "no no" is a kinetic friction coefficient larger than that of static.

1.132 is acceptable, if it were 1.8 or something then I'd worry.

Ok cool. So there is no absolute max? In wikipedia it says a rubber tire on concrete has u around 1.7 so how much higher does coefficient of friction go?

I would think the limit would be based off the materials that exist in the universe, no mathematical limit.

For example, syrup running down a kitchen wall. That would be an enormous coefficient.

1. What is the meaning of a friction coefficient greater than 1?

A friction coefficient greater than 1 indicates that the force required to move an object across a surface is greater than the weight of the object itself. This means that the surface is exceptionally rough or sticky, creating more resistance to motion.

2. How is friction coefficient greater than 1 possible?

In most cases, a friction coefficient greater than 1 is not physically possible. It could be due to an error in measurement or incorrect calculations. However, it is possible in certain circumstances, such as when two surfaces are extremely rough and have a high degree of adhesion between them.

3. What are some factors that can affect the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, the type of material the surfaces are made of, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. How is friction coefficient measured?

The friction coefficient is typically measured by dividing the force required to move an object across a surface by the weight of the object. This can be done using various instruments such as a spring scale or a dynamometer.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction coefficient greater than 1?

One example of a friction coefficient greater than 1 can be seen in the sport of curling, where the ice surface and the curling stone have a high degree of adhesion, resulting in a friction coefficient greater than 1. Another example is when a car's tires lose traction on a wet or icy road, resulting in a friction coefficient greater than 1 between the tires and the road surface.