Friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder [mechanics]

In summary, the person is seeking help with a physics problem involving forces and free body diagrams. They have tried different approaches, but have not been able to arrive at the suggested solution. They are unsure about the placement of reaction forces and are seeking clarification on whether they should go through the center of gravity or the point of contact.
albatross84

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the problem I am trying to solve in a book. The problem I am having trouble with is #4 (the solution is provided in the brackets below the question -> 0.432)
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/241/questiona.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ff=uma
etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried accounting for all the possible cases (including all free body diagrams I could think of) - Fg, and two Fn's and Ff's on both sides of contact (as well as individually). I have drawn all of my Fn's and Fg's through the center of gravity, which I am not entirely sure about. All of my attempts have so far given me a different number from the suggested solution.
In particular, I was hoping someone could help me out with the present forces and how they are drawn on the free body diagram (center of gravity?). Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi albatross84! Welcome to PF! :smile:
albatross84 said:
… I have drawn all of my Fn's and Fg's through the center of gravity, which I am not entirely sure about …

Yes, you're right not to be sure :wink:

reaction forces always go through the point of contact (so in this case they'll also go though C) …

only the weight goes through the centre of mass :smile:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of friction and its coefficient. Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and is dependent on the surface materials and the normal force acting on the object. The friction coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the friction force to the normal force.

In this problem, a rotating cylinder is in contact with a horizontal surface, and we are asked to find the friction coefficient. To solve this problem, we need to consider the forces acting on the cylinder. The only force acting on the cylinder in the horizontal direction is the friction force, which is equal but opposite to the force applied by the surface. This means that the friction force is the only force responsible for the rotation of the cylinder.

To determine the friction coefficient, we need to use the equation Ff=uma, where Ff is the friction force, u is the friction coefficient, m is the mass of the cylinder, and a is the acceleration of the cylinder. In this case, the acceleration of the cylinder is related to its angular velocity, and we can use the equation a=rα, where r is the radius of the cylinder and α is the angular acceleration.

Now, we can write the equation for the friction force as Ff=umrα. Since we are given the angular velocity and the radius of the cylinder, we can calculate the angular acceleration using the equation α=ω^2/r, where ω is the angular velocity. Substituting this into the equation for the friction force, we get Ff=umrω^2.

Finally, we can use the equation F=ma to relate the friction force to the normal force acting on the cylinder. Since the cylinder is not moving in the vertical direction, the normal force must be equal to the weight of the cylinder, which is mg. Substituting this into the equation for the friction force, we get Ff=umrω^2=mg. Solving for the friction coefficient, we get u=g/(rω^2).

In conclusion, the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder is dependent on the surface materials and the angular velocity of the cylinder. As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of friction and how it affects the motion of objects. By applying the relevant equations and considering all the forces acting on the object, we can solve problems like this one and gain a better understanding of the physical world around us

What is the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder?

The friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder, also known as the coefficient of kinetic friction, is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force of friction between two surfaces in contact to the normal force pressing them together. It is denoted by the symbol μ (mu) and has no units.

How is the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder measured?

The friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder can be measured experimentally by applying a known force to the cylinder and measuring the resulting acceleration. By using the equation μ = a/g, where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity, the friction coefficient can be calculated.

What factors affect the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder?

The friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the speed of rotation, the temperature, and the presence of lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

Can the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder be greater than 1?

Yes, the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder can be greater than 1 in certain cases. This typically occurs when there is a high degree of roughness or stickiness between the surfaces, which causes a larger force of friction to be generated. However, in most cases, the friction coefficient is less than 1.

How does the friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder affect the motion of the cylinder?

The friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder plays a crucial role in determining the motion of the cylinder. A higher friction coefficient will result in a greater force of friction, which will slow down the rotation of the cylinder. On the other hand, a lower friction coefficient will result in a lower force of friction and allow the cylinder to rotate more easily.