Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Friction compared to applied force

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing review questions about friction and am I little confused about the one I am currently doing. I have an idea of what the answer is but i want to be positive.

The question asks to compare friction to applied force of an object on a horzontal surface. Compare them when the object is slowing down, travelling at a constant velocity and speeding up

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the answers as both will decrease, both will stay the same and both will increase but I feel like this may not be correct. Help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Well the friction is usually modelled as a function of speed (either linear or as speed squared). So you are right about how friction will act in those situations.

But the applied force is a bit more complicated. I think you'd need to write down a model of the friction force and the applied force and work it out. (In other words, I don't think there is a general answer)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook