1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction compared to applied force

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing review questions about friction and am I little confused about the one I am currently doing. I have an idea of what the answer is but i want to be positive.

The question asks to compare friction to applied force of an object on a horzontal surface. Compare them when the object is slowing down, travelling at a constant velocity and speeding up

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the answers as both will decrease, both will stay the same and both will increase but I feel like this may not be correct. Help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Well the friction is usually modelled as a function of speed (either linear or as speed squared). So you are right about how friction will act in those situations.

But the applied force is a bit more complicated. I think you'd need to write down a model of the friction force and the applied force and work it out. (In other words, I don't think there is a general answer)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook