Friction force : determining coefficient of friction

In summary, the conversation discusses attempting to calculate the coefficient of friction between an ice-hockey puck and the ice. The initial speed of the puck and its rebound speed after hitting a boundary fence are given. Various approaches, including using Newton's second law and an energy balance, are suggested but have not led to a solution yet. Further clarification and the actual working are requested.
kakaiwasula
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in a different forum.
I have tried this question but I seem not to be getting any where.
Qn; An ice-hockey puck is struck from one end of a rink of length 27 m towards the other end. The initial speed is 6m/s, and the puck rebounds from the boundary fence at the other end with a speed which is 0.75 times the speed with which it struck the fence, before just returning to the starting point. Calculate the coefficient of friction between the puck and the ice.
My attempt:
I applied Newtons second law at instant of collision with fence to get force from rate of change in momentum. this is in terms of mass m and time t, ie 0.25m/t. Equating this force to frictional force gives the coefficient in terms of t after m cancels out.. Applyinng SUVAT seems not to get me anywhere near to geting the time t for the puck to travel 27m, nor the time of impact.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should post this in the homework section.
But anyways, try energy balance and see if that works.

kakaiwasula said:
I applied Newtons second law at instant of collision with fence to get force from rate of change in momentum. this is in terms of mass m and time t, ie 0.25m/t. Equating this force to frictional force gives the coefficient in terms of t after m cancels out.. Applyinng SUVAT seems not to get me anywhere near to geting the time t for the puck to travel 27m, nor the time of impact.
Not sure I understand your description of what you have done so far. Where does the 0.25 come from? Please post the working.

What is friction force?

Friction force is the resistance force that exists between two surfaces in contact with each other. It opposes the motion of one surface over the other.

What factors affect the friction force?

The friction force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the friction force to the normal force between two surfaces. It is a measure of how much friction exists between two surfaces.

How do you determine the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the magnitude of the friction force by the magnitude of the normal force between two surfaces. This can be done by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface at a constant speed.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand the amount of force needed to move an object across a surface. It also plays a crucial role in the design and functioning of many everyday objects, such as cars, shoes, and machines.