1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Fraction

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1
    Here is the problem:

A student has two ramps both are at an angle of 30o. Ramp 1 is frictionless and ramp 2 has friction. The student also has two blocks, one for each ramp. She pushes the blocks up the ramps with the same initial velocity. The block on ramp 2 only travels a fraction f = 0.625 as far before coming to a stop as the block on ramp 1. Find the coefficient of sliding friction between the block and ramp 2.

How do I even begin this problem? I have found the forces of each of the blocks. I know that it will involve more than one equation and the canceling out of variables to find the unknown needed. But how?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I would be inclined to use work-energy calculations. Both blocks start with the same amount of energy...
  4. Dec 1, 2004 #3
    Well, this is a problem I've put aside a while, but still haven't been able to figure out. So far, I have discovered that Vo = Vo for both blocks on ramp 1 and 2. D1 = D and D2 = 0.625D .

Solving for A), Ramp 1

Vf ^ 2 = Vi ^2 + 2a(delta D)
    0 = Vi ^2 + 2a(delta D)
    0 = Vi^2 + 2aD

Solving for B), Ramp 2

Vf^2 = Vi^ 2 + 2a(delta D)
    0 = Vi^2 + (2a)(0.625D)

Substituting and setting equations equal you get:

Vi1 ^2 + 2aD = Vi2^2 + (2a)(0.625D)
    2aD = (2a)(0.625D)

From here, if I try to solve for one variable, both cancel out leaving me at a road block. Did I take a wrong detour in coming to where I am now? Or have I done something completely wrong?
  5. Dec 1, 2004 #4
    Nevermind, I figured out where to go and how a1 and a2 were defined to cancel out the D variable and bring in the coefficient of friction variable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?