• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Friction (horizontal) Applied Greater Force than Equilibrium

• Thread starter PraetorGT
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When you apply a horizontal force of 44 N o a block, the block moves across the floor at a constant speed (μk = μs). When you apply a force of 50 N, what is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force that the floor exerts on the block?

2. Relevant equations
ffriction ≈ μkFN

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to go about this. If the question asks for the horizontal force, do I still need to use the force of gravity in my calculations?

An explanation is appreciated, with or without the answer. I want to know how to do this, not necessarily know what the answer is.

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When you apply a horizontal force of 44 N o a block, the block moves across the floor at a constant speed (μk = μs). When you apply a force of 50 N, what is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force that the floor exerts on the block?

2. Relevant equations
ffriction ≈ μkFN

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to go about this. If the question asks for the horizontal force, do I still need to use the force of gravity in my calculations?

An explanation is appreciated, with or without the answer. I want to know how to do this, not necessarily know what the answer is.
The floor exerts both a perpendicular (Normal) force in the vertical y direction, and a friction force in the horizontal direction, opposite the relative motion between the block and floor. The book is looking for the horizontal force component of the floor on the block.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads