Friction (horizontal) Applied Greater Force than Equilibrium

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force that the floor exerts on the block when a horizontal force of 50 N is applied and the block moves at a constant speed with a friction coefficient of μk = μs. This can be calculated using the equation ffriction ≈ μkFN, where FN is the normal force exerted by the floor on the block. The vertical force of gravity does not need to be considered in this calculation.
PraetorGT

Homework Statement

When you apply a horizontal force of 44 N o a block, the block moves across the floor at a constant speed (μk = μs). When you apply a force of 50 N, what is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force that the floor exerts on the block?

Homework Equations

ffriction ≈ μkFN

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about this. If the question asks for the horizontal force, do I still need to use the force of gravity in my calculations?

An explanation is appreciated, with or without the answer. I want to know how to do this, not necessarily know what the answer is.

Physics news on Phys.org
PraetorGT said:

Homework Statement

When you apply a horizontal force of 44 N o a block, the block moves across the floor at a constant speed (μk = μs). When you apply a force of 50 N, what is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force that the floor exerts on the block?

Homework Equations

ffriction ≈ μkFN

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about this. If the question asks for the horizontal force, do I still need to use the force of gravity in my calculations?

An explanation is appreciated, with or without the answer. I want to know how to do this, not necessarily know what the answer is.
The floor exerts both a perpendicular (Normal) force in the vertical y direction, and a friction force in the horizontal direction, opposite the relative motion between the block and floor. The book is looking for the horizontal force component of the floor on the block.

1. What is friction (horizontal)?

Friction (horizontal) is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is sliding or moving along a surface.

2. How is friction (horizontal) different from other types of friction?

Friction (horizontal) is specifically the force that acts against the motion of an object on a horizontal surface, while other types of friction, such as static and kinetic friction, act in different directions and on different surfaces.

3. What happens when a greater force is applied to an object than is needed to maintain equilibrium?

If a greater force is applied to an object than is necessary to maintain equilibrium, the object will accelerate in the direction of the applied force. This acceleration will continue until the applied force is balanced out by the opposing force of friction (horizontal).

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the amount of force needed to maintain equilibrium?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of how easily one surface slides over another, affects the amount of force needed to maintain equilibrium. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more force will be needed to keep an object in equilibrium and prevent it from accelerating.

5. Can friction (horizontal) be completely eliminated?

No, friction (horizontal) cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces come into contact with each other. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction.