1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Friction (horizontal) Applied Greater Force than Equilibrium

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When you apply a horizontal force of 44 N o a block, the block moves across the floor at a constant speed (μk = μs). When you apply a force of 50 N, what is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force that the floor exerts on the block?

2. Relevant equations
    ffriction ≈ μkFN

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to go about this. If the question asks for the horizontal force, do I still need to use the force of gravity in my calculations?

An explanation is appreciated, with or without the answer. I want to know how to do this, not necessarily know what the answer is.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The floor exerts both a perpendicular (Normal) force in the vertical y direction, and a friction force in the horizontal direction, opposite the relative motion between the block and floor. The book is looking for the horizontal force component of the floor on the block.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook