Friction / inclined plane question

In summary, the problem involves a child sliding down a slide with a 28 degree incline and the child's speed at the bottom being half of what it would be if the slide was frictionless. The task is to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slide and the child. The solution involves drawing a Free Body Diagram and splitting gravity into its X and Y components. The equation for Force friction is also used. A hint is given to consider the work done by friction on the slide as it goes down the slope.
N_L_
I am having trouble setting up the following problem:

A child slides down a slide with a 28 degree incline, and at the bottom her speed is precisely half what it would have been if the slide had been frictionless. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slide and the child.

I drew an FBD. I split gravity up into it's X and Y components. I know that Force friction = Mu k * Force normal. Fg(x) = m*g*sin(28). Fg(y) = m*g*cos(28)

Force normal - m*g*cos(28) = m*acceleration(x) = 0

m*g*sin(28) - Mu k * ( m*g*cos(28) ) = m*acceleration(x)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: How much work does the frictional force do on the slide as it traverses the slope?

http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image/69/7/0/O/69708125O733857775.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of microscopic bumps and ridges.

2. How does friction affect objects on an inclined plane?

Friction on an inclined plane acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, making it more difficult for the object to move up or down the plane.

3. How is the amount of friction determined?

The amount of friction depends on the weight of the object and the roughness of the surfaces in contact. The rougher the surfaces, the more friction there will be.

4. Can friction be reduced on an inclined plane?

Yes, friction can be reduced by using a lubricant or by making the surfaces smoother. This will decrease the amount of resistance and make it easier for the object to move.

5. How does friction affect the speed of an object on an inclined plane?

Friction will slow down the speed of an object on an inclined plane, as it must work against the force of friction to move. The steeper the incline, the more friction there will be and the slower the object will move.