1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Problems In Two Dimensions

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    Hello Everyone!

I have recently had an assignment given to me, concerning "Friction Problems in Two Dimensions."

The only problem is, that I have no idea where to start or how to solve the problem...
    I would extremely appreciate it if I could have some help to point me in the right direction.

Here is the problem.

"A box weighing 450. N is pulled along a level floor at constant speed by a rope that makes an angle of 30.0 degrees with the floor. If the the force on the rope is 260. N,

A. What is the Frictional force

B. What is the Normal Force

C. What is the coefficient of kinetic (sliding) friction (that little U symbol.

All help is greatly appreciated, I have worked for hours trying to understand this problem and attempting to find something on the internet to help me.

Thanks,
    Jordan

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

Start by drawing a free body diagram. Once, you have it drawn, what can you tell me about the sum of all the forces acting on the box?

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    Yes, start with the free body diagram. Then analyze the forces acting in EACH dimension separately...the applied force is going to have to be broken down into its components, as you can see. Try this out and see what you can come up with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?