1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction - signs of the forces correct?

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    Friction -- signs of the forces correct?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a question about part c). I've attached the picture of the problem. It's a typical friction problem on an inclined plane, and I get the wrong answer so there's something about my setup that's wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I show my work in an attachment. I get P=127, but the answer is P=80. What am I doing wrong. How are the direction of my vectors? Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your direction of friction seems wrong. Which way do you think friction acts? Up or down the incline?

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    Here's where I think the direction of friction is:

1) when motion down the incline is impending, friction points up the incline (Part c).

2) when motion up the incline is impending, friction points down the incline (Part a).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

Doc Al

OK, you seem to have the correct direction for friction. I solved it, and got the expected answer. Perhaps you have an arithmetic error.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  6. Apr 23, 2007 #5
    How'd you get the right answer? I checked it at least 15 times and kept getting the wrong answer over and over and over again. Maybe another one of my forces is pointing in the wrong direction? If you could be so kind as to look over my work, it is attached in the original post -- I also drew a diagram :) Thank you.

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Found the problem

OK... I found your error. Recheck your number 388. That should be 800 sin(25) = 338.1

8. Apr 24, 2007 #7
    omg. I can't believe that. I spent like 2 hours analyzing it and reading the book again to see where I went wrong. You're awesome :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?