Frictional force and work problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a slide with a height of 35.0 meters and an inclined angle of 45.0 degrees. A 60kg woman with a speed of 20.0m/s at the bottom experiences a frictional force of -8.58 x 1000J. The task is to find the magnitude of the frictional force, and after some discussion, it is determined that the trigonometric function used in the solution was incorrect. The correct solution involves using the distance along the slide, which is 35/sin(45), and the resulting magnitude of the frictional force is 173.
billu77

Homework Statement

A slide similar to der stuka is 35.0 meters high but is a straight slope,inclined at 45.0 degrees with respect to the horizontal. If a 60kg woman has the speed of 20.0m/s at the bottom and the work done by frictional force on the woman is -8.58 x 1000J, find the magnitude of the force of friction.

Homework Equations

Work done by frictional force = Frictional force cos 45 x horizontal distance

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation:
-8580 = F cos 45 x 35

i am getting double the correct answer...can u tell me what am i doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
billu77 said:

Homework Statement

A slide similar to der stuka is 35.0 meters high but is a straight slope,inclined at 45.0 degrees with respect to the horizontal. If a 60kg woman has the speed of 20.0m/s at the bottom and the work done by frictional force on the woman is -8.58 x 1000J, find the magnitude of the force of friction.

Homework Equations

Work done by frictional force = Frictional force cos 45 x horizontal distance

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation:
-8580 = F cos 45 x 35

You have to divide the height by cos 45

AM

Hi billu77! :wink:
billu77 said:
-8580 = F cos 45 x 35

yes … work done = force times distance, the height is 35, so the distance along the slide is … ? :smile:

Your trig function is wrong. W=Fdcos(0), since the work the friction done is 8580 J, then W=8580. The distance the friction gone through is Hypotenuse, which is 35/sin(45) rather than 35*cos(45). F=8580/(35/sin(45))=8580*sin(45)/35=173. I am not sure what the initial velocity is doing though.

caitlincui said:
Your trig function is wrong. W=Fdcos(0), since the work the friction done is 8580 J, then W=8580. The distance the friction gone through is Hypotenuse, which is 35/sin(45) rather than 35*cos(45). F=8580/(35/sin(45))=8580*sin(45)/35=173. I am not sure what the initial velocity is doing though.

thanks...i did not pay attention to the fact that frictional force is just acting along the slide and not at an angle...appreciate ur help

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that resists the relative motion or tendency of motion between two surfaces in contact.

What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the temperature of the surfaces.

How is frictional force related to work?

Frictional force can do negative work, which means it opposes the direction of motion and reduces the amount of work done by other forces.

Can frictional force do positive work?

No, frictional force cannot do positive work because it always acts in the opposite direction of motion.

How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, reducing the roughness of the surfaces, and using materials with less friction, such as ice or Teflon.