Find the value of ##θ## and frictional force acting on the block.

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A block of wood of mass ##4.5## kg rests on a table. A force of magnitude ##35## N, acting upwards at an angle ##θ^0## to the horizontal, is applied to the block but does not move it. Given that the normal contact force between the block and the tablke has magnitude ##30## N. Calculate

a. the value of ##θ##.

b. the frictional force acting on the block.
Relevant Equations
Mechanics
Refreshing on this...This is a relatively new area to me ...my solutions should be correct...what i am trying to engage on is if there are any other ways of looking at the same problem.

Ok in my working i have,

##30 + 35 \cos β-45=0##

##\cos β=0.4286##

##β = 64.62^0, ⇒θ=25.4^0 ## to one decimal place.

for part b,

##35\cos 25.4^0 -F=0##

##F=31.6 N##

any insight is welcome...

Attachments

• CamScanner 02-17-2024 08.04_1.jpg
    CamScanner 02-17-2024 08.04_1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: A block of wood of mass ##4.5## kg rests on a table. A force of magnitude ##35## N, acting upwards at an angle ##θ^0## to the horizontal, is applied to the block but does not move it. Given that the normal contact force between the block and the tablke has magnitude ##30## N. Calculate

a. the value of ##θ##.

b. the frictional force acting on the block.
Relevant Equations: Mechanics

Refreshing on this...This is a relatively new area to me ...my solutions should be correct...what i am trying to engage on is if there are any other ways of looking at the same problem.

Ok in my working i have,

##30 + 35 \cos β-45=0##

##\cos β=0.4286##

##β = 64.62^0, ⇒θ=25.4^0 ## to one decimal place.

for part b,

##35\cos 25.4^0 -F=0##

##F=31.6 N##

any insight is welcome...
In which direction is the frictional force exerted on the block? To the left? Or is it directed to the right?

camscanner-02-17-2024-08-04_1-jpg.jpg

( I hate those little Image thumbnail images ! ) :smile:

( I hate emojis too ! ) Beat y'all to it !

• Haha
Likes BvU and chwala
SammyS said:
In which direction is the frictional force exerted on the block? To the left? Or is it directed to the right?

View attachment 340430

( I hate those little Image thumbnail images ! ) :smile:

( I hate emojis too ! ) Beat y'all to it !
@SammyS i think the arrow ought to point downwards; not upwards as shown in my diagram. I need to understand the 'english' used in these kind of questions... should be to the left.

SammyS said:
Why does it matter?
chwala said:
i think the arrow ought to point downwards
No, your diagram is fine. Are you posting just for confirmation or do you have some reason to think your answer is wrong?
Are you supposed to use 10m/s2 for g?

I note the question specifies ##\theta°## (which I dislike). That means ##\theta## is just a number, 25.4.

Likes MatinSAR and chwala
haruspex said:
Why does it matter?

No, your diagram is fine. Are you posting just for confirmation or do you have some reason to think your answer is wrong?
Are you supposed to use 10m/s2 for g?

I note the question specifies ##\theta°## (which I dislike). That means ##\theta## is just a number, 25.4.
@haruspex like I indicated...I am posting for insight if any that's all...this is a new area for me...

Like the insight given on the diagram (direction of frictional force) for instance...those are the areas that may require your indulgence...

Last edited:
chwala said:
Like the insight given on the diagram (direction of frictional force) for instance.
To figure out the direction of the friction, look ahead. You have 4 forces
  1. Pulling force ##F## which is up and to the right
  2. Weight ##mg## which is straight down
  3. Normal force ##N## which is straight up
  4. Friction ##f## which is parallel to the surface either to the left or to the right.
Looking ahead, you want the sum of the 4 forces to be zero. Since the unknown force is horizontal, the first three forces will have no up-down component but a component to the right due to the pulling force. Therefore, the force of friction must be equal to the horizontal component of the pulling force and point to the left.

Also, just to streamline your work, you don't really need angle ##\beta##. Not what you did is incorrect, but you can write more simply
##30 + 35 \sin \theta - 45=0 \implies \sin\theta=\frac{3}{7}## and
##\cos\theta=\sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta}=\frac{2\sqrt{10}}{7}.##
Then
##f=F\cos\theta=10\sqrt{10}~##N.

• Informative
Likes chwala and MatinSAR