Frictional Force Direction Problem

In summary, the system is in equilibrium with all surfaces being rough. The direction of friction on B due to A is (b) downward. This is because the gravitational force on A is balanced by the frictional force on A by B and the wall, causing the direction of the frictional force on A to be upward. This, in turn, results in the direction of force on B due to A to be downward, in accordance with Newton's Third Law of Motion.
amitSingh95
1A.jpg

1. Homework Statement

The system is in equilibrium. All the surfaces in the image are rough. The direction of friction on B due to A is :
(a) is upward
(b) is downward
(c) is zero
(d) depends on the masses of A and B.
ANS : (a)

Homework Equations

MAg = 2μN (Friction due to wall and due to B)
N=F

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the gravitational force is balanced by the frictional force on A by B and the wall, the direction of frictional force due to B and the wall on A must be upward and therefore, direction of force due to A on B must be downward, i.e., (b), but I am not sure that my reasoning is correct and I don't understand why it should be upward?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's simplify the situation. Sometimes, imagining an extreme helps... You are told that all surfaces are rough, but not necessarily equally rough. Well, let's imagine that the surfaces where A is in contact with the wall are so rough, that it's the same as if A was welded with the wall... Or, we may say that they are so rough that it's very, very much like a weld. That would mean a very, very high (but finite) friction coefficient between the wall and A. The problem becomes more simple, as you are left only with A and B...

There is a force pressing B against A but since that is perpendicular to A's surface, there is no friction force there. There is a force downward due to gravity. If B is not sliding downward, due to A's friction force, then the force must be in the opposite direction, upward.

amitSingh95 said:
Since the gravitational force is balanced by the frictional force on A by B and the wall, the direction of frictional force due to B and the wall on A must be upward
At least one of them must be upward, but no reason why both should be.

If you do a free body diagram on B, you will see that the weight of B must be balanced by an upward frictional force at the interface with A. These are the only vertical forces acting on B. So A must exert an upward frictional force on B (equal to the weight of B).

Chet

Thank you everyone for your reply, I understand that the direction must be upwards to balance the weight of B. The only confusion I have is due to Newton's third law of motion according to which the direction must be in opposite to the force that B is applying on A.

haruspex said:
At least one of them must be upward, but no reason why both should be.
The tendency of A is to slide down, with respect to both B and the wall, and frictional force acts in direction opposite to the motion or its tendency, at least in this case I think it is, so shouldn't the direction of force due to both be upwards?

amitSingh95 said:
The tendency of A is to slide down, with respect to both B
I don't think we can say that.

Block B is not exerting any upwards force on A, rather the weight of B is acting to tend to cause B to slide downwards relative to A. There is no force acting to maintain B in position, save the upwards force delivered by A through friction.

and the wall, and frictional force acts in direction opposite to the motion or its tendency, at least in this case I think it is, so shouldn't the direction of force due to both be upwards?
The wall pushs up on A, and A pushes up on B.

If there was no friction between the wall and A, then the outcome would be that both would free-fall together as one.

Likes amitSingh95
amitSingh95 said:
The tendency of A is to slide down, with respect to both B and the wall, and frictional force acts in direction opposite to the motion or its tendency, at least in this case I think it is, so shouldn't the direction of force due to both be upwards?
A has a tendency to slide down, called gravity, but it has no particular desire to slide down in relation to any other given object. Since the wall cannot move, it can derive support from the wall, but there is no basis for assuming it will gain support from B, rather than B gaining support from A.

amitSingh95 said:
Thank you everyone for your reply, I understand that the direction must be upwards to balance the weight of B. The only confusion I have is due to Newton's third law of motion according to which the direction must be in opposite to the force that B is applying on A.
What is it about this that you are finding confusing? A exerts an upward force on B, and B exerts a downward force on A. So...?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What is it about this that you are finding confusing? A exerts an upward force on B, and B exerts a downward force on A. So...?

Chet
I thought B and the wall both were exerting upward force on A to balance its weight, but now I know that the wall alone is balancing its weight.

amitSingh95 said:
I thought B and the wall both were exerting upward force on A to balance its weight, but now I know that the wall alone is balancing its weight.
Actually, the wall is doing more than just balance the weight of A. It is also supporting the downward force that B is exerting on A. So the wall is balancing the weight of both A and B.

Chet

amitSingh95 said:
I thought B and the wall both were exerting upward force on A to balance its weight, but ...
That would/could be true IFF the force F had a component acting vertically. But in the case under consideration here, F acts perfectly horizontally, so it can't push B upwards.

IFF ─ is read as "if and only if"

Thanks to everyone
I got it :)

1. What is frictional force direction problem?

Frictional force direction problem is a physics concept that deals with the direction of frictional forces acting on an object. It arises when the direction of motion of an object is different from the direction of the applied force.

2. How is frictional force direction problem different from static friction?

Static friction is a type of friction that occurs when an object is at rest, while frictional force direction problem involves an object that is already in motion. In static friction, the direction of the applied force is the same as the direction of the frictional force, while in frictional force direction problem, the directions are opposite.

3. What factors affect the direction of frictional force?

The direction of frictional force depends on several factors such as the surface roughness of the objects in contact, the type of material, and the applied force. It also depends on the angle of the contact surface and the weight of the object.

4. How can frictional force direction problem be solved?

Frictional force direction problem can be solved by using the laws of motion and friction. The direction of the applied force, the weight of the object, and the angle of the contact surface are important factors in determining the direction of frictional force.

5. Why is understanding frictional force direction problem important?

Understanding frictional force direction problem is crucial in many real-life situations, such as designing machines and vehicles, understanding the movement of objects, and predicting the behavior of systems. It also helps in reducing friction and increasing the efficiency of machines.