Frictional Forces: Stacked boxes, pulley with weight.

In summary, the system shown involves three masses- Mass 1, Mass 2, and Mass 3, connected by a string and pulley. Mass 1 and Mass 2 have known masses and a coefficient of static friction between them, while Mass 2 and the table have a known coefficient of static friction. The objective is to determine the maximum mass of Mass 3 that will not cause Mass 1 to slide on Mass 2. The approach involves creating free body diagrams for each mass and using Newton's laws to find the necessary acceleration and tension in the system. However, some mistakes were made in the horizontal and vertical force balance equations for Mass 1 and Mass 2, and the problem cannot be solved without knowing the
Cal Ripken

Homework Statement

The system shown is released from rest. Mass one (0.450 kg) rests on mass two (0.820 kg) and the coefficient of static friction between the two masses is 0.560 and the same for the mass and the table. Determine the maximum mass for M(3) such that mass one will not slide on mass two. The string can be considered massless and the pulley is frictionless.
?temp_hash=6a83b8385006beb4a863378573ae8e67.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

F= ma, f(static)= u(static) x n, w=mg, f(kinetic)= u(kinetic) x n.

The Attempt at a Solution

?temp_hash=6a83b8385006beb4a863378573ae8e67.png

This is my free body diagram for M1, M2, and M3, respectively.
For the first FBD, according to Newton's third law, (F a on b = -F b on a), the surface of M1 exerts static friction on M2, and M2 exerts static friction on M1.
For the second FBD, I recognized that the weight would be M1+M2 times g. Also, the box would be moving and so the frictional force would be kinetic.
For the third FBD, there is only tension and weight acting on the y axis, and has no x components. Further, due to the effect of the system, I will call the downward acceleration positive.

So for the first, I know that the condition for acceleration requires that a net force act on a body. However, we want M1 to remain at rest and so
F(x) = -f(s)+f(s) = 0, F(y) = -W1 + n1 = 0

then for the second fbd
F(x) = (M1+M2)a = -f(kinetic) + T, F(y) = -W2 + n2 = 0

And for third[/B]
F(x) = 0, F(y)= -T + M3(g) = (M3)a

and so then

(M1 + M2) a = -f(kinetic) + T
+ (M3) a = (M3)g - T

= a ( (M1+M2) + (M3)) = (M3)g - f(Kinetic).

The given values are M1, M2, and a coefficient of Static friction.
according to my FBD's, Static friction cancels out. So i don't know what i did wrong there.

But, because it's a given value, and I suppose that ultimately I am looking for values of acceleration which will cause static friction to be maintained between M1 and M2, while making M3 a Maximum value:

I set f(static) = ma
u(static) X n = ma
acceleration = (u(static) X (n)) / m

so a = (0.56)(W1(g)) / (M1))

a = (0.56(4.41N)) / (0.45kg)) = 5.488 m/s^2

so this would be the maximum value for acceleration required to maintain static friction.

and so my only remaining unknown values are M3 and f(Kinetic).

I know that f(k) = u(kinetic) X n

so then f(k) is just the negative of the value for tension?

Sorry i am lost and I don't know if any of what I have done so far is correct. I suppose I would like to know if my FBD's are accurate, If my conceptual understanding is accurate, what mistakes have I made so far, am I overlooking anything? Did I approach this properly? Should I have evaluated the entire system at rest and then again in motion? Are my force components correct / did I combine the accurately? Super lost.

Thanks in advance I am an idiot =( I know this should be simple

Attachments

• friction.png
    friction.png
    873 bytes · Views: 3,582
  • free body diagrams.png
    free body diagrams.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,640
Physics news on Phys.org
You've made a couple of mistakes with regard to Mass 1, but you are on the right track. So don't beat yourself up too much.

Mass 1 actually is accelerating since it is not yet quite slipping relative to Mass 1. A horizontal force is acting on Mass 1 at its base. This is the frictional force exerted by Mass 2 on Mass 1, and it is in the direction of movement. You correctly determined the normal force on Mass 1.

For the combination of Mass 1 and Mass 2, your horizontal force balance equation is correct, but, for the vertical direction, it is incorrect.

For Mass 3, everything is correct.

It doesn't seem possible to solve this problem unless one knows the coefficient of kinetic friction at the base of Mass 2.

Chet

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that resists the motion of objects in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of microscopic ridges and valleys.

2. How does frictional force affect stacked boxes?

Frictional force between stacked boxes can make it difficult to lift or move the boxes. The higher the stack, the more frictional force is present, making it harder to lift or slide the boxes.

3. How does frictional force affect a pulley with weight?

Frictional force can cause resistance in the movement of the pulley and weight. This resistance can make it harder to lift the weight and can also cause wear and tear on the pulley system over time.

4. Can frictional force be reduced?

Yes, frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants such as oil or grease on the surfaces in contact. Smooth surfaces also reduce frictional force as there are fewer ridges and valleys to interlock.

5. How does the weight of an object affect frictional force?

The weight of an object does not directly affect frictional force. However, the weight can increase the normal force between surfaces, which in turn increases the frictional force. This is why it may be harder to move heavier objects compared to lighter ones.