Frictionless Roller Coaster Problem

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem with a book error and doesn't know how to find the force applied to bring the car to a stop.
danrochester

Homework Statement

Consider the frictionless roller coaster shown. (Diagram attached)

If a 12000 kg car starts at rest from Point A, calculate:

a) the total energy of the system
b) the speed of the car at point B
c) the force that must be applied to bring it to a stop at point E
d) the work done to bring it to a stop at point E

Homework Equations

for a): E(total) = mgh
for b): E(total) = mgh + 1/2mv^2 (rearrange to solve for v)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is with parts c) and d): in the book it looks like there is supposed to be a measurement at point E, but there isn't any value given. Do I need this to calculate an answer? (I haven't done anything on "momentum" yet, so I am working with gravitational potential energy, force, work and energy).

Thanks for any assistance
-Dan

Attachments

• diagramL5Q20.JPG
    diagramL5Q20.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a relation between force applied and work done? I can't see your diagram, but at E you should have some stopping distance given. Use it to find the force.

you don't expect us to just give you the answer do you? this is so easy!

Irid said:
Do you know a relation between force applied and work done? I can't see your diagram, but at E you should have some stopping distance given. Use it to find the force.

I know the relationship. As I said in my post, there is no value given for the stopping distance, but it looks like there was supposed to be one and it was left out. That was actually my whole question; do I need this value, and is this a text error as I suspected.

beocom6000yello said:
you don't expect us to just give you the answer do you? this is so easy!

I didn't ask for the answer, just whether or not I needed a value for stopping distance. You didn't even read the question.

Well, using dimension analysis, you can determine whether you need some quantity or not. If you wish to combine energy (joules) and force (Newtons) you MUST have some quantity which is expressed in meters. If it is not given, maybe you're supposed to assume some value or smth.

danrochester said:
The problem I'm having is with parts c) and d): in the book it looks like there is supposed to be a measurement at point E, but there isn't any value given. Do I need this to calculate an answer?
Did you post the complete problem exactly as given?

If I understand the problem, you'll need the stopping distance to answer c), but not to answer d).

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Did you post the complete problem exactly as given?

If I understand the problem, you'll need the stopping distance to answer c), but not to answer d).

The problem as posted is verbatim from the book, so it looks like there is an error in the book as I suspected. If I had the distance it would be a simple problem, for c) F=W/d, and the work would equal the total energy of the system. And again, for part d), the work required to bring the train to a stop is equal to the energy in the system.

Sorry about the confusion everyone, I do know how to do these questions! But a book error is a book error...I guess that's just the way it goes.

Thanks a lot
-Dan

What is the "frictionless roller coaster problem"?

The frictionless roller coaster problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves a roller coaster track with no friction or energy loss. It is used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

How does the frictionless roller coaster problem relate to real-life roller coasters?

The frictionless roller coaster problem is a simplified version of real-life roller coasters, which do experience some friction and energy loss. However, the principles demonstrated in the problem are still applicable to real-life roller coasters and can help engineers design and optimize them.

What are the main variables in the frictionless roller coaster problem?

The main variables in the frictionless roller coaster problem are the initial height of the roller coaster, the mass of the roller coaster and riders, and the shape and length of the track. Other variables, such as the initial velocity and gravitational acceleration, are typically assumed to be constant.

What are the key equations used to solve the frictionless roller coaster problem?

The key equations used to solve the frictionless roller coaster problem are the equations for conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. These include the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant, and the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant.

What are some real-life applications of the frictionless roller coaster problem?

The principles demonstrated in the frictionless roller coaster problem are applicable to many real-life scenarios, such as designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, calculating the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of objects in space. These principles are also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.