From one of PF's younger members

this gets you a giant 'ATTA BOY !

Zz, in response... go Nittany Lions! :D

You're lucky, you'll almost certainly get a very good football team in the next 3 years.
And as defending conference champion, it's your responsibility to talk trash to anyone you meet from Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin,.. pretty much anywhere in the midwest actually. But especially Michigan.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Congratulations Z-comp. PSU is a great engineering school.

I ocassionally get over there to visit the Department Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, so I'll let you know next time.

I would recommend some physics courses if you have room for electives. As an engineer, it also helps to diversify, so if you want to do structures, also look at some materials courses. If you want to do power and/or propulsion, look at courses in EE and ME (turbomachinery, if not covered in Aersp). It looks like fluid dynamics is well-covered in Aersp.

And by all means, become a student member of AIAA and start building a network!

Yeah I would like to take courses from other engineering disciplines but I'll also have my minor in mathematics and some French courses... We'll see I suppose! I'd gladly join the AIAA, since I'm gonna also join the AOPA when I get the chance. I wonder if PSU has a flying club, or something similar.

well done.

take as many classes as you can! first year is the most exciting and fun, the new people and all the experiences. it's easy to get involved. i'm sort of regretting not picking up extra classes in year one cause i'm having to work extra hard now on my maths, but next semester i'm picking up an extra two modules. sorted.

also, I know quite a few people doing aero engineering and although it's supremely difficult it's, some of it anyway, great fun. sure you're not tempted to change to cosmology? :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
There is a soaring club, which might be worthwhile -
http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/soaring/

You might check the Aerospace department or the local airport.

Actually, I am assuming you are attending PSU in State College (University Park).

That's correct Astronuc. I know there's the University Park airport near campus and also a flight school there, but I didn't know about the soaring club. Thanks! :)

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Congrats. You might want to consider getting involved in the SPIRIT project:

http://spirit.ee.psu.edu/" [Broken]

I had some friends go through the Aerospace program at PSU and it helped them quite a bit, both as an educational tool and in applying for jobs. The sooner you start getting real world experience, the better.

Last edited by a moderator: