From whence cometh the photon?

Hi, I am a new member here. I am a non-physicist. I have been told that the electron is an elementary particle. I have been told that when an electron moves to a lower shell there is a photon emitted. If the electron is elementary where does the photon come from? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Answers and Replies

Nugatory
Mentor
At a very handwavey-level: It is created from the energy released when the electron drops to the lower level. It wasn't around in any way, shape, or form before then.

Likes Mediocrates
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The photon is an excitation of the electromagnetic field, which was already present. The electron's transition between energy levels creates a disturbance in the EM field that propagates outwards as an EM wave. The photon is the means by which this EM wave interacts with matter.

Likes Mediocrates
At a very handwavey-level: It is created from the energy released when the electron drops to the lower level. It wasn't around in any way, shape, or form before then.
Thanks.