1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B From whence cometh the photon?

1. Jun 25, 2017 #1
    Hi, I am a new member here. I am a non-physicist. I have been told that the electron is an elementary particle. I have been told that when an electron moves to a lower shell there is a photon emitted. If the electron is elementary where does the photon come from? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

At a very handwavey-level: It is created from the energy released when the electron drops to the lower level. It wasn't around in any way, shape, or form before then.

4. Jun 25, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The photon is an excitation of the electromagnetic field, which was already present. The electron's transition between energy levels creates a disturbance in the EM field that propagates outwards as an EM wave. The photon is the means by which this EM wave interacts with matter.

5. Jun 25, 2017 #4
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted